logolong

public buses with wheelchair access

More
9 years 3 months ago #56107 by Karl
Yesterday I got stuck under a bus in the doorway for thirty minutes nobody could move me.

I got stuck getting on the bus so the driver lower the bus but it trapped my wheelchair under the bus and the bus would not go up too as it broke down.

Driver was helpful but he couldn't free me and then afew more helped but the chair was jammed under the bus so everyone got off the bus as the driver phoned for a jack for highing the bus but this really tall man came walking by and he pulled me free by lifting my chair up.

Next time I will wait for the bus to be down first but I thought it was down as the driver was looking at me.

Has anyone else had problems with access on buses

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #56110 by Tomrymer
I have no recent experience of busses Karl but had a friend who found the situation hopeless as he lived halfway along the bus route and by the time the bus reached his stop the wheelchair space was always taken up by kids buggies and as it was first come first serve he could only get aboard once in five tries.
We were both on the transport users advisory committee, now defunct, and were unable to change anyone's mind on the issue.
When I could walk I found many of my internal bleeds were caused by bus use but this only became apparent once I had a car!

More
9 years 3 months ago #56112 by BUBBADOG14
Have you both heard about the case that went to court about the wheelchair user who couldn't use the wheelchair space on a bus because the mother refused to move her pushchair from the disabled place because her baby was asleep? And it's caused a right who harr because the wheelchair user lost the case so now it means if someone has a pushchair in the disabled spot they don't have to move it if a disabled person comes on the bus and wants to use the disabled spot!! It's ridiculous! I never use public transport anymore if I go out on a short journey I use a taxi.

More
9 years 3 months ago #56113 by Tomrymer
Yes, I did hear about the case but the problem has always been a fact here, I don't know if the rule is local to particular council areas but that is what my colleague found to be the rule here and we couldn't get anyone to change it: If the space is taken up by a buggy the mother cannot be asked to move it, if she volunteers to do so fine but the driver will not under any circumstances require her to do so. The use of the space is strictly first come first served. Ludicrous as a policy it means that accessible public transport is still a privilege not a right, while the claim can be made that the buses are now accessible!

More
9 years 3 months ago #56131 by Karl
Last time I had to wait for 3 buses before I got on because the buses was full of buggies. I have a bus stop at the top of my street and every 5 mins a bus comes so it isn't too bad and buses are free. Taxis are about £8 to go into town so pretty expensive.

More
9 years 3 months ago #56132 by Sandie

BUBBADOG14 wrote: Have you both heard about the case that went to court about the wheelchair user who couldn't use the wheelchair space on a bus because the mother refused to move her pushchair from the disabled place because her baby was asleep? And it's caused a right who harr because the wheelchair user lost the case so now it means if someone has a pushchair in the disabled spot they don't have to move it if a disabled person comes on the bus and wants to use the disabled spot!! It's ridiculous! I never use public transport anymore if I go out on a short journey I use a taxi.

I would have made damn sure her baby woke up :angry: :angry:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BUBBADOG14

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.440 seconds