logolong

looking for a new hobby

More
11 years 1 month ago #47314 by Jana
Replied by Jana on topic Re: looking for a new hobby
I have several things that I do as "hobbies". But some of them are more of an avocation, such as genealogy and photo restoration and can be quite time consuming and stressful. It took me 30 years to find where my grandmother was born! Some of the research is not for the faint of heart!

Even though I do have a lot of hand pain, I love to knit. I have taught myself to knit using as little movement as possible, even using multiple colors of yarn. It makes me relax and focus on just that one thing. Also, I have just tried Zentangles. It is sort of like doodling with a pen but it is not mindless, it is MINDFUL doodling. There are books and kits around on it, and I saw a gallery show on You Tube. It reminds me very much of the work I did in a black and white design class in college. The projects can be tiny and the investment is simply paper, pencil and a sakura pen.

One thing I've noticed is that hobbies are expensive! I have been able to get very good quality inexpensive yarns online. Also recycled yarn. There are people who will unravel a wool sweater into skeins and then sell it per weight or yardage. Amazing! I don't think I'd have the patience to UN-knit!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 weeks ago #47326 by Grandma7
I have quite a few hobbies that help, especially as distraction techniques. I knit, just small things mainly, but they bring a lot of satisfaction. Cross stitch, I have done a picture of a court jester, that took ages. I got the pattern from a book in the library, and the silks last ages. Cooking, although I can't stand for long. Writing poetry and short stories, which is great therapy.
I am trying to muster up the confidence to start African drumming! the drum I want is quite expensive, going to try and get one online, and have a few lessons, but self expression is the key. I may not be very tuneful, but I will be happy! x

More
11 years 4 weeks ago #47328 by Jana
Replied by Jana on topic Re: looking for a new hobby
The African drumming sounds very interesting. There is a local group here that does Native American drumming, and at some point each person makes their own drum as part of the process.

More
11 years 4 weeks ago #47329 by Grandma7
That sounds very interesting Jana. I wish I knew how to make my own drum, they are very, very expensive! Hopefully, I might find one second hand. x

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.425 seconds