logolong

Non-Disabled Involvement?

More
9 years 7 months ago #54985 by duckwagon
Hey,

So long story short, I've always been interested in disability, and I want to be more involved, if only for my own improvement. I'm finding, however, that for the non-disabled, experiences and resources are few and far-between, and often unfeasible.

Say, for example, I've learned ASL over the years, and Braille, and even taken a BRL Transcription course. Which was awesome.
But braille books, tools, and resources are expensive, and often inaccessible. So I'm hard-pressed to read more books, or what-not, beyond my scriptures (which I found online by pure luck).

Or say I want to go on some kind of excursion. Like a blind independence course - that sounds like the coolest thing in the world, because I want to understand the experience and how you'd work around it, to be more functional.
But aside from access issues, I can even see that as being offensive to some people; despite my interest.

Or in Deaf Culture circles; I'm interested, but access is limited, it's quite a drive to be feasible for the nearest center, and honestly I'm not very accepted simply because I'm hearing. Which is regrettable.

I posted here a few minutes ago on my basic ideas about disability, just for context. I addressed some ideological things there that I'm pretty sure might come up in response.

To be honest, I'm not so sure I'm ready to commit my entire career to the field, despite my strong interest. Such is part of my dilemma. But I am certain about my interest; so I'm not so sure what I can do.

Thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.321 seconds