logolong

How skydiving changed my life!

More
5 years 10 months ago #67965 by liz11084
Hi my name is Liz Anderson and I would like to share how my life has changed, I was an adrenaline junkie until I had a severe stroke in 2006. Last year, I heard about a guy that was raising money to take the disabled to iFLY and teach them to fly, I was very curious. I didn't think that flying in a wind tunnel was possible for someone as immobile as I am but I contacted him to see what he thought I could do. He assured me it was possible and he asked me a bunch of questions to get to know me, explain how it would work, and calmed my nerves. 

When I finally met Gabe at iFLY he was kind, patient, very understanding and went above and beyond to help make this a wonderful experience.  He took the time to see how my arms and legs move and figure out what I could and couldn't do, showing me what to expect. He and two of his instructor buddies got me in the tunnel, the other guys holding on to me while Gabe stayed in front of me keeping watch of my face since you can't talk in the tunnel, he made sure I was doing alright. I had an awesome time and it was the best workout I've had in years. Having to hold your limbs the right way and hold your head up, it's a full body workout. It was also a very good stretch, being in a wheelchair messes with posture, the wind pushed my arms out, stretching my chest and opening it up better than anything.

I had so much fun and they made me feel so safe that I definitely wanted to do this again! Then I asked him about skydiving, would I be able to go actual skydiving? He got in contact with someone at the place he skydives to help make this happen for me!  At the dropzone, he again went above and beyond to help make the experience amazing. Stayed right there with me the entire time, even in the air he came over to check on me. Then he made sure to get to the ground first so he could be there when I landed. It was a dream come true and he did everything to make it happen. 

I cannot say enough about how much of an impact Gabe made on my life through skydiving and tunnel flying. From being an adrenaline junkie to a girl that thought she'd lost that part of her life forever, this opportunity came along and turned that around. Gabe told me "It might take longer and look different but you can do what I can do." These experiences helped me believe that I can still live a fun filled, adventurous life despite my limitations. 

Flyer - Gabe Sierra (Coach D-36181)

TI - James Flaherty (Skydive Spaceland) 

Skydiving Photographer - Daniel (Skydive Spaceland) 
The following user(s) said Thank You: BUBBADOG14

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #67967 by BUBBADOG14
I want to Thank you for posting this as it shows being disabled doesn't mean you can't enjoy doing this like going in wind tunnels or skydiving or anything as extreme!! It doesn't mean your life is over and you can't enjoy doing things you used to enjoy doing. It just means finding a way to adapt so you can take part. It means you CAN still enjoy doing things!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.384 seconds