logolong

Verbal Dyspraxia/Apraxia

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #63883 by Miles92
Hi. My name is Jack, I'm 24 years old and I am from Australia. I was born with a developmental disorder called Developmental Verbal Dyspraxia, which is also known as Apraxia of Speech.

I am wondering does anyone else have Verbal Dyspraxia/Apraxia or knows about it? It would be great to be able to talk to someone who understands things.

Developmental Verbal Dyspraxia is a motor speech disorder, which makes it hard for a child to say sounds, syllables, and words because their brain has problems planning the movements needed to produce speech. I was diagnosed with it when I was 3 years old. I have spent basically my entire life going to speech therapy, working on my speech and communication.

The type of Verbal Dyspraxia I have is profound, which is rare because of how severe it is.
I can talk but my speech is very limited and unclear. I communicate with most people by using a special device called a Lightwriter or by using my phone. I have been working very hard on my speech over the past 2 years and I am getting better.
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Miles92.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #63884 by BUBBADOG14
Replied by BUBBADOG14 on topic Verbal Dyspraxia/Apraxia
I did some looking up on the Interweb about Verbal Dyspraxia and found this from the Dyspraxia Foundation:-

dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/dyspraxia-adults/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Miles92

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #63894 by Miles92
Replied by Miles92 on topic Verbal Dyspraxia/Apraxia
Thank you so much for the link for the Dyspraxia Foundation.

I have been having a very hard time finding support groups for adults with Verbal Dyspraxia, most of the things I have found online so far are for parents with children with Verbal Dyspraxia or for people with Dyspraxia but not Verbal Dyspraxia.
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Miles92.

More
7 years 2 months ago #63897 by BUBBADOG14
Replied by BUBBADOG14 on topic Verbal Dyspraxia/Apraxia
This group is for Dyspraxia but covers verbal Dyspraxia as well.

www.geneticandrarediseasenetwork.org.au/support-groups/view/28/

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.372 seconds