logolong

I need some help

More
15 years 5 months ago #12284 by momof3
I need some help was created by momof3
Hi,
I am legally blind and I am really thinking about starting my own business. My husband has worked with Napa auto parts store for over 20 years. My husband thinks thinks that i can own my own napa store. I am going to go talk to his boss to see if he will show me how it all works. I don't my boss about this and she said I could not do it. I do not have the skills for this kind of work. I also don't know what kind of technology I am going to need.
I needs some advice. What do you think?

Michelle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 5 months ago #12433 by Karl
Replied by Karl on topic Re:I need some help
If u think u can do it, go for it

You have nothing to lose

More
15 years 5 months ago #12451 by Posh
Replied by Posh on topic Re:I need some help
Hi Momo, I used to own and run my own business (until my cancer put the kybosh on my fun!), and you'd be very suprised as to what support is out there.

First off, I would suggest you have a chat with your bank manager, you may need his help with setup costs. Also have a word with the Disability Advisor at your local jobcentreplus, they will be able to help with adaptions. Also, do you have a Business Advice groupo in your area? Have a chat with them too.
They will be able to put you in touch with others who ahve gone down your route.
andc just as an aside, make sure that your chosen business is the only one within a 200 mile radius! Do a little survey, work out what you think your projections will be, (be honest with yourself) without poaching customers from where you are now...
try and limit yourself to a speciality, and never buy in stock (always do on sale or return if poss), to keep in stock.

I started my business many years ago, workedd 27 hours out of 24 :), from a old wooden shed in the garden, and just sold the business, business name, and all stock, for a good few million££, considerably less than it was really worth (but with my Cancer time is limited), and I know the new owners is looking after it!
To be very honest, the name was worth considerably more than the business was...

see here:
www.customville.co.uk/

More
15 years 5 months ago #12452 by Posh
Replied by Posh on topic Re:I need some help
And if you need any help, just shout.

It can be very satisfying running your own business, but it's not for everyone, and there will be times when business is slow, and bills just don't get paid ;), and stress levels hit the roof!

I forgot to say, if you are in rented accomodation (housing associated, concil housing, private rent) you MUST inform your landlord of your intentions, or you could lose your home.

Have a chat with your local Tax office, and Customs&Excise office, especially if you are going to do some orders mail order.

above all, have fun doing it, when the fun stops, that's the time to pack it in.
good luck!

More
9 years 1 month ago #56877 by Gogi22
Replied by Gogi22 on topic I need some help
The equality duties which Jobcentre Plus must meet are on disability, race and gender. Jobcentre Plus must promote equality of opportunity and tackle discrimination. It is not clear how well Jobcentre Plus meets equalities obligations.

More
9 years 1 month ago #56879 by BUBBADOG14
Replied by BUBBADOG14 on topic I need some help
I don't know how different the USA tackles disability employment advise to the UK? But finding the relevant information is the first step. If you really want to do it I say go for it don't let your disability hold you back. Please keep us informed about how you do.

Moderators: NaomiB
Time to create page: 0.423 seconds