logolong

Involvement

More
10 years 4 months ago #51445 by duckwagon
Involvement was created by duckwagon
Hi! I'm new here.

I've always been drawn to the field of disabilities. I have one of my own, but it's one of the more 'invisible' brand and if I had to put it in a box it'd probably in the 'emotional disability' box. As opposed to 'rational' disabilities, or physical - my mind and body are fully functional, but there are some things I struggle to do because of emotional instability and issues.
In short, Depression, Anxiety, Helplessness, the like.

I've done a lot of research as a result. I struggle with formal schooling, but I'm good at teaching myself/mentorship sometimes; so over the years I've learned sign language (conversational) and braille and such.
I've found also, however, that it's usually really hard to get access to disability-related communities or resources. (Case in point, braille stuff is EXPENSIVE if you're not blind.) And since my disability makes it hard at times to be self-determinate (to push myself to do scary things by myself) it throws another wrench into the works.

Once I get into something and it's 'safe' for me, I can go full-steam and I usually excel. So finding a job is an earth-shaking ordeal, but once I have it I'm stellar. Or similar situations. I can talk about it, I generally know how to do it, and I usually don't need help finding options; but taking that first step is really hard without the right kind of support.

Anyway. I have two things I'd like feedback on:

1) I'd love to be involved in some field related to disabilities and/or social issues, such as able-ism or audism or racism, etc. I also like money management, because poverty and debt have similar issues.
I'm not sure where to go, to be honest; or how to get in; and especially in light of my challenges. They're not something other people can face for me, but maybe I can find a situation that's easier.

Any suggestions or thoughts on what I can do?

...I guess it's mainly just the one thing. But I also am in a time-crunch. I have a life-changing opportunity coming up in May for the summer, but I need to earn some money, and I'm struggling to find another job or improve the one I have. Not how or why or where, but the act of doing it and not getting in my own way.
So if I can find an opportunity that also can help me with that goal, that would be beyond helpful.

And also, any comments, or common experience, or helpful advice is welcome.

Thanks!
Glad I found this place.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #51450 by BUBBADOG14
Replied by BUBBADOG14 on topic Involvement
The job centre has a section devoted to Disabled People and finding them a job and supporting people with settling into the employment i.e access and support from employer. It maybe worth checking it out, not sure but there maybe something online on the job centre site. Hope this is of help to you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: NaomiB
Time to create page: 0.413 seconds