logolong

My Nan has dementia & other health issues

More
2 years 1 month ago #70675 by BUBBADOG14
I wanted to talk about this as it effects a lot of families, my Nan was diagnosed with it last year but seem to lose more of her week by week. My Nan still lives in her family home but really needs to be nursing home but like all elderly people refuses to sell her home and move to one. She also refuses to have home help because of her dementia she won't have anyone into her home so currently my 2 Aunts who are closest to her try and I mean try because of her changing moods depends how she is that day try and look after her.  my family recently where told my Nan is Bi-Polar which adding to the dementia means her mind is really messed up and the medication that is available won't help as much, also now she has other health problems which are age related, which is piling on the stress to my Aunts who take care of her. My sister works in a care home and is trying to help my Aunts with advice that my help & I do my bit by phoning her bi-daily  and trying to cheer her up if she is in a low mood. The Nan I used to know has gone now and I hang on to the memories of the past seeing her bright smile and helping her in the garden, what is left is a shell who rings me to ask the day & time, who phones in tears because she's depressed and believes everyone hates her. Dementia is a cruel illness that takes everyone's Nanna & Paps. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #70678 by Garryb10
its a very hard time for all the family when this happens   and there is no easy answer 
it opens the eyes up if its the first time anyone has seen this happening  its a whole new world 
my mum had dementia about 4 years ago and was my first time seeing anyone with it 
now my mother inlaw also has it too she is in aged care she isnt bad but still cant look after herself 
she cant understand why she is there and doesnt like it 
it is the best place for her safety now 
as sad as it is 

More
2 years 1 month ago #70680 by Kansas78
Not sure of what may help. Bacopa is a common ingredient in brain supplements that supposedly help dementia. Brain HQ is simple games that can help the whole brain and it adjusts and stretches each individual based on where they are at that time. It wouldn't overwhelm or underwhelm a person but has been shown to help dementia and overall mental functioning. I also saw a YouTube video once where people who had dementia where listening to music they grew up with and it improved their speaking ability among other things for the time while it was being played. I know music can at least help with mood and anything active one can still do that is positive can keep an active mind and one going forward and may help with some of the load of the situation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #70681 by 5 minute major
sorry your family has to go through this its a hard thing to watch helpless to change or do anything about the situation

More
2 years 1 month ago #70684 by BUBBADOG14
Thank you everyone for their posts, it really has been a hard few days and all over the world other families are feeling the stress we are.  

Moderators: Scott_1984
Time to create page: 0.411 seconds