• Page:

TOPIC:

No elevator or safe ramps at work? 6 months 2 weeks ago #71552

• Liz81
  • Liz81's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I'm working at this place and this other place I was at had no elevators. It's a two story building. Now this place I'm at now... they have a ramp to get up to a door and on the other side of the door, is a huge step to get into the room. No steps. What is wrong with people? A very steep ramp that's not safe?

While I'm thinking about it and I know it's not relevant to work but.... youtube don't require captions on their videos. I'm deaf, how am I supposed to understand the videos without captions or subtitles and there's no transcripts online. The automatic captions are so bad.

I'm sorry but the ADA (American with Disabilities Act) is not tough at all. Our government aren't working hard at making it tough so each person can be as equal as possible and some people, even with disabilities, just sit back and take it. It's been passed for about 30 years and no one's asking for tougher laws for people with disabilities such as requiring ALL videos be captioned online, even youtube or requiring elevators and safe ramps, even though the building has already been built since before 1990. Currently, you're not required to put in elevators or ramps if the building was there before 1990 and you're not required to add captions on youtube or on DVD players unless the DVD player screen is of a certain height or width. I'm so angry that our law isn't tough enough and not enough people stand up and complain about it! Am I the only deaf person who use youtube? Am I the only one who wants to have a job wherever she pleases and not just where they have elevators or non-steep ramps?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

No elevator or safe ramps at work? 6 months 2 weeks ago #71553

• jj~
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
The ADA has come a long ways, I am pleased in my State the modifications to some areas of the ADA thanks to our Representatives and our coordinated informing them of the needs.

Try your legislators over and over again , one cannot let up.

No elevator or safe ramps at work? 6 months 2 weeks ago #71636

You need to be tough, use your voice, complain and if nothing is done complain again! Send emails! Write to local papers, get yourself on your local news! Even tweet or post something on Facebook! We need to get a movement started and it takes one person to start and it will snowball! Then we will see a change, more ramps, Elevators and captions on Utube. But it does take time and people speaking up to make a change.

• Page:
Moderators: NaomiB
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds