logolong

Progress for the DisABLED !

More
13 years 1 month ago #34404 by jj~
I rec'd this news release today had to share~

Department of Energy Finalizes $50 Million Loan for Vehicle Production Group

Washington, D.C. – U.S. Energy Secretary Steven Chu announced today that the Department of Energy finalized a nearly $50 million loan to The Vehicle Production Group LLC. The loan will support the development of the six-passenger MV-1, a purpose-built wheelchair accessible vehicle that will run on compressed natural gas. The vehicle will be produced at the Mishawaka, Indiana AM General Plant.

“Advances in vehicle technology like this will help reduce our dependency on oil and ensure that our nation’s workforce is producing the best, most innovative vehicles in the world,” said Secretary Chu. “We hope projects like VPG will encourage the development of other compressed natural gas vehicles, resulting in reduced emissions, new jobs and increased independence for Americans who use wheelchairs.”

The compressed natural gas vehicle MV-1 will use no gasoline and will produce lower emissions than gasoline-fueled vehicles. Vehicle Production Group estimates that at full capacity, the project will produce over 22,000 vehicles per year. The company estimates the project will produce over 100 jobs in Indiana, in addition to approximately 800 more direct and indirect jobs across 17 states for the assembly, part suppliers, production and sale of the vehicle.

Vehicle Production Group, a new American car company based in Miami, Florida, says MV-1 is the only purpose-built vehicle that is designed from the ground up for wheelchair accessibility. The company also states that MV-1 is the only factory-built light-duty vehicle to date that meets or exceeds the guidelines of the Americans with Disabilities Act. The vehicle features a deployable access ramp with a 1,200-pound weight capacity, a 36-inch entryway and an interior that accommodates up to six occupants with the optional jump seat, including one or two wheelchair passengers and the driver.

The Department of Energy’s Loan Programs Office oversees the Advanced Technology Vehicles Manufacturing (ATVM) Loan Program. The ATVM Loan Program supports the development of innovative, advanced technologies that create thousands of clean energy jobs while reducing the nation’s dependence on oil. The Department has provided over $8 billion in loans to advanced technology vehicle manufacturers, including Ford Motor Company, Fisker Automotive, Nissan North America and Tesla Motors.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #34412 by BUBBADOG14
Proving yet again the Americans are several steps ahead when it comes to being disabled friendly!!:angry:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 1 month ago #34418 by
Replied by on topic Re:Progress for the DisABLED !
BUBBADOG14 wrote:

Proving yet again the Americans are several steps ahead when it comes to being disabled friendly!!:angry:

With all due respect it proves nothing of the kind....
A few questions ......

Being unwell /in need of healthcare....Better at the point of need on the NHS ( with faults maybe but support for all)..or spending 25 pcent of your income on Private Healthcare via expensive insurances in the USA ...otherwise die in poverty ?????

Prescriptions being subsidised by Govenment in the UK or paying vastly for expensive drugs in USA ????

Mobility support in the UK or non-mobility in the USA ????

I am proud to live in the Most tolerant country on the planet where we embrace multi cultural positions and dont sit back and watch people starve in the streets.....Give support to the needy...See how tolerant they are in the bible-belt to non christians or gays or ethnics...Not in the slightest...Where the KKK still hold discusting views and still carry out murders in the south...

Very good that the USA is considering reducing carbon immissions after decades of gas-guzzling on a scale not witnessed anywhere else...Hypocricy...you bet your life it is...Kyoto agreement conformety from the USA...No chance...

Spending a couple of weeks on holiday and seeing how well they deal with disability is no reflection of what they can or cant do as a nation....You would get the same treatment almost anywhere....

So do I hold the USA up as an example of anything....Simple answer...No ;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 1 month ago #34422 by
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Sorry Soap Box put away..... Chest much refreshed xxxxx ;)

More
13 years 1 month ago #34425 by BUBBADOG14
Now Now Mr Park!:ohmy: What I was trying to say the Americans I good when it comes to helping disabled in a wheelchair (like myself) get through airports! Or ramps in shop door ways,coaches with wheelchair lifts on to coach and enough room for wheelchairs to travel in the coach,many disabled toilets at atractions like kennedy space centre and even a seperate paying area at restaurants with lowered counters.I wasn't getting into heavy political stuff! Way to much for me and my morphine doped brain!!:sick:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 1 month ago #34430 by
BUBBADOG14 wrote:

Now Now Mr Park!:ohmy: What I was trying to say the Americans I good when it comes to helping disabled in a wheelchair (like myself) get through airports! Or ramps in shop door ways,coaches with wheelchair lifts on to coach and enough room for wheelchairs to travel in the coach,many disabled toilets at atractions like kennedy space centre and even a seperate paying area at restaurants with lowered counters.I wasn't getting into heavy political stuff! Way to much for me and my morphine doped brain!!:sick:

;) ;) Yes....Ive lived amongst them and The Shop Front is always good....but like many shop fronts...hides the real truth.
As I said countries ,in my view, who are better all round ( as well as in tourist locations)..Holland...Belgium..France...UK ....Denmark...Sweden...etec etc

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.381 seconds