logolong

hair loss after illness

More
15 years 9 months ago #3317 by Michelle
In March of this year I was hospitalized for 9 day with the flu and pneumonia. While I was in the hospital my hair came out in clumps a few times, but in the last few weeks I’ve noticed large amount of loss and breakage. My doctor thinks it’s from the shock of being in the ICU and there’s nothing to worry about. She did order a blood test to check my thyroid. Has anyone experienced this? If so, when do things return to normal? I'm now entering my third month of being out of the hospital, should I still be seeing hair loss and breakage?<br><br>Post edited by: Michelle, at: 2008/06/02 00:29

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 9 months ago #3318 by
Replied by on topic Re:hair loss after illness
There are many differing factors which cause aloepecia.
You really need to take your physician's advice on this.

(In my case, it's Chemo!)

There are a few small things which you can do however. change your shampoo to the mildest one you can find, Johnsons Baby, or similar. don't use any chemicals on your hair, including conditioners, colourings.

Eat a healthy diet, drink loads of water.

and if it gets too bad, do what i do, and either buy a nice lot of wigs, all different colours, or get some olive oil, and polish!

:)

More
15 years 9 months ago #3374 by ducky
Replied by ducky on topic Re:hair loss after illness
I hope you both get well soon

More
15 years 9 months ago #3741 by Michelle
Replied by Michelle on topic Re:hair loss after illness
poshpaws - thanks for the tips. My hair isn't falling out as much. Tomorrow I'm going to see a dermatologist hopefully he'll reiterate what my doctor said.

I hope you get well soon.

ducky - thank you. :)<br><br>Post edited by: Michelle, at: 2008/06/08 17:24

More
15 years 9 months ago #3745 by ducky
Replied by ducky on topic Re:hair loss after illness
michelle I am glad there is an inprovement.. hope the dermatoligist can help you :)<br><br>Post edited by: ducky, at: 2008/06/08 17:37

More
15 years 9 months ago #3818 by Michelle
Replied by Michelle on topic Re:hair loss after illness
I went to see the dermatologist today. He said everything is fine. My hair loss is from the shock of being ill and my hair will grow back...but it will take time. So I need to be patient. I'm not exactly known for my patience.<br><br>Post edited by: Michelle, at: 2008/06/09 22:53

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.398 seconds