logolong

Disabled children bullying claims

More
16 years 10 months ago #426 by Able_Here_Team
From news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6762893.stm

Disabled children bullying claims

It is claimed many children with disabilities face a lonely summer
More than 90% of children with learning disabilities are bullied, according to a report from Enable Scotland.
The charity said most of these children faced a lonely summer holiday in their homes, afraid to venture out to the park or even go out in the street.

The UK-wide research, based on 564 children, 12% of whom were in Scotland, found that more than a third said telling an adult made no difference.

The study came as the charity launched a campaign to tackle the issue.

Norman Dunning, Enable chief executive, said the results showed a real need for action.

\"It is unacceptable that so many children's lives are being made a misery and we need to do something about it,\" he said.

ENABLE RESEARCH
93% had been bullied
46% had been physically assaulted
31% had their possessions stolen
53% were bullied for more than two years
38% said telling an adult had no effect

\"It's time for the bullying of children with learning disabilities to be taken as seriously as other forms of discrimination, such as racism and homophobia.\"

The research suggested that in more than half of the cases bullying had continued for two years or more.

Many of the children surveyed said they were afraid to go to the places where they had been bullied, such as school.

Some of the young people reported that it was not just other school children who bullied them, but parents and younger children had joined in, calling names and throwing stones.

Louise Hill, who suffered at the hands of bullies for years, said the problem had driven her to consider harming herself.

\"Sometimes the parents joined in. For instance, I would walk down the street and the mums would call me names,\" she said.

\"It wasn't just them, the five-year-olds started realising what their parents were doing and they would join in too, throwing stones. It was quite upsetting that I did sometimes feel like self harming myself.\"

The report's recommendations included a call for organisations that work with children to develop good practice in dealing with the problem.

It also suggested making information about bullying and how to deal with it more accessible to children with learning disabilities.

The launch of the Speak Up campaign coincides with Learning Disability Week, which runs from 18-24 June.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #434 by scipilot
Er you knicked that off my news page :P
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by scipilot. Reason: link removed

More
16 years 10 months ago #435 by Able_Here_Team
Well, I got it from bbc website. If you see the top it says From news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6762893.stm

You will get sued by the BBC! We wont as we always say the source.

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.399 seconds