logolong

Electric Cycles

More
4 years 11 months ago #69996 by giffordstephen57
Hello Able People,
Just joined this site and want to share what I've learned about increasing mobility since retiring with degenerative disc disease three years ago. If anybody is interested in creative solutions to getting out and about, I'm happy to share what I know and to learn what anybody else is doing. As my photo shows, I have a sled dog named Velma who loves to pull, so I hook her up to things. And I just built an electric bicycle can that can get me up a steep mountain. This technology can be applied to a tadpole tricycle too. I hope to electrify my kayak soon too, as I can no longer paddle well enough. Has anybody ever used a pedal kayak or ever built anything similar? -Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: BUBBADOG14

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #69998 by BUBBADOG14
Replied by BUBBADOG14 on topic Electric Cycles
Look forward to hearing more about you electric solutions to your hobbies of biking and your idea of putting an electric motor in a kayak. Give some fuss to Velma for me she looks a sweet dog! You should put some pictures of her in the pets section as members (especially myself!!) love to see each others pets.

More
4 years 11 months ago #70002 by giffordstephen57
Replied by giffordstephen57 on topic Electric Cycles
I bought a fat tire bike from bikesdirect.com and then got a Chinese electric wheel kit from Amazon, then raised the handlebars and got a leather seat from England. This all cost $1,500, but is so worth it. Took me many months of saving and experimenting, even blowing a motor and controller that added $240 to the cost, but everything seems to be fine now. I had tried using the motor only on a steep hill, but now know I have to be pedaling to help out. The kayak project will hopefully be cheaper, because I already have a kayak. I plan to try a simple electric trolling motor from Walmart that costs about $125. Will use the battery from the bicycle project and fashion some boards and hardware to mount the motor onto the side of the kayak. The battery is 48 volt, and the motor is rated for a 12 volt, so I might need to spend $100 on a marine battery. BUT DOCTORS AND DENTISTS need to be paid first.
Will update on the kayak later, but here is a photo of the electric bicycle.
-Steve
Attachments:

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.404 seconds