logolong

Wheelchair man gets highway ride

More
16 years 10 months ago #387 by Karl
From news.bbc.co.uk:80/1/hi/world/americas/6732003.stm

A wheelchair user has been taken for a high-speed ride along a US highway after his handlebars became tangled up in the front grille of a lorry.
The back of Ben Carpenter's wheelchair was scooped up as he passed in front of a lorry leaving a petrol station.

The driver was completely unaware that he had a new passenger, kept in his wheelchair by a seatbelt.

Passing motorists told police, who found the man unhurt - but still attached to the front of the truck.

Police in the town of Paw Paw, Michigan, said Mr Carpenter had told them \"it was quite a ride\", but complained only that he had spilled his soda.

The lorry reached speeds of 50mph (80km/h) as it drove down the Red Arrow Highway.

After several miles the driver pulled over at the depot of a trucking company where police then told him about the man on his front end.

He refused to believe there was a man in a wheelchair stuck to the front of his truck until he saw it for himself, police said.

\"It's fast, I know that,\" Ben Carpenter told local Wood TV.

\"I was probably thinking that he [the driver] is going to keep going, not stop anywhere, go 50-60 miles somewhere\".

\"I mean I would have been dead way before that,\" he added.\"

Interview with Ben news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_6730000....stm?bw=bb&mp=wm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 10 months ago #388 by sweetalison2006
I saw it on the news, it was by the grace of god that the disabled person wasnt killed.

More
16 years 10 months ago #396 by Michelle
Absolutely amazing!

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.390 seconds