logolong

Christmas time!

More
13 years 4 months ago #32402 by Julia
Christmas time! was created by Julia
Christmas is definitely my favourite holiday. I love writing cards, making sweets, decorating the house and having great Christmas music in the background. Unfortunately, I won't have much time over for these things this year as I will be writing a big assignment for university. I am not too happy about that, but I'll just have to keep going and look forward to the few days that I will be spending with my family. Here in my country, Christmas Eve is the big day. In my family, we have the big Christmas lunch around 1:00 P.M. on the 24th. We eat meat-balls, ham, sausages, eggs, herring, potatoes and lots of other things. After that, we watch \"Kalle Anka\" which is Swedish for Donald Duck. It was the first cartoon that was shown on Swedish television and it has been repeated every Christmas since the end of the 1950s. We usually open our presents in the afternoon, right after Kalle Anka has finished. In the evening we eat boiled rice pudding. There is always an almond in the pudding. The one who gets the almond has to come up with a rhyme. I think this is a Scandinavian tradition.
I'd love to hear more about how Christmas is celebrated in other countries. I wish you all a merry Christmas and I am sending an extra thought to all those who will be alone or who won't be able to enjoy this celebration for other reasons.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 4 months ago #32403 by
Replied by on topic Re:Christmas time!
Hi Julie..I was fascinated to read about your Scandinavian Christmas and it seems full of variety.
Christmas here is about getting up in the morning and opening presents...all the better if there are young children to see their excitement...
Christmas lunch/dinner can tend to consist of Turkey, Duck, Goose , ( one or more) plus brussel sprouts, roast parsnip, roast potatos,stuffing,mixed vegetables,gravy...plus wine... Then traditional Christmas Pudding soaked in brandy and set light to...
After over-eating we all tend to ignore the Queens speach on television and doze off in a chair until evening meal LOL ( this part is optional lol)
My favourite time is Boxing Day ( day after Christmas)when I make Turkey Broth by the gallon plus make fresh bread ...have it for lunch with family .....
Our youth have a tradition all of their own where they get falling-down drunk at every chance xxxx ;)

More
13 years 4 months ago #32404 by Julia
Replied by Julia on topic Re:Christmas time!
Thanks Tony for telling me about your English traditions. On the 25th we meet up with family as well, but we don't get presents on that day. I think most countries have the 25th as their big day. At least that's what I have heard. Many people around my age get drunk here as well. I am not the kind of person who goes out partying and I never drink.

More
13 years 4 months ago #32406 by Karl
Replied by Karl on topic Re:Christmas time!
On the 24th, a lot of the people goes to the pub, most pubs are very full. I like going to the pub in the afternoon on the xmas eve as Im getting old lol. Mostly the 18 to 25 years old goes to the pub on the night.

On Christmas day, we get up, get the gifts under the xmas tree, eat a mince pie for breakfast.Family comes round for dinner (same as tony said). Maybe to go for a walk in the park in the afternoon with the kids. On the night, watch some rubbish on TV with some drinks hic hic

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.391 seconds