logolong

Mainstream vs Disability Niche Dating Sites

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #67784 by loveability
Short version: which do you prefer, mainstream or disability niche dating site? And why?

Long version:
I need your advice! Inspired by a lifelong friend who has a disability, I have developed a "better" disability dating site by not making a disability dating site at all. Instead, I have developed a mainstream dating site that is designed to be better accessible to those with disabilities. By accessible, I mean that I have designed the profile questions to comfortably open the door for people to mention, or not mention, a disability without it being the center point of their profile. Also, our blog is going to be highly dedicated to educating and opening the mainstream eye to dating with/or someone with a disability. I think that society on the whole is on the cusp of changing their antiquated view that those with disabilities aren't datable and I want to help push them over that edge.

However, it has been suggested (mostly by parents whose children have disabilities) that what is needed is a safe place to date-- I understand that thought but that pretty much means a site that is exclusive to people with disabilities. Which means, that it perpetuates the idea that disabled people should only date other disabled people. To me, that's like saying brunettes need to date brunettes. But, at the same time, I can see how you'd be better shielded from trolls as well as be in a community that better understands you.

So, what I am getting at is this: for you, personally, would you rather use a mainstream dating site that strongly represents your demographic or would you rather use a safe, better-designed disability niched dating site that, for instance, doesn't have a ridiculous name that includes "special"?
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by loveability. Reason: short & long versions

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #69756 by sensualsoul
did anyone answer your question? :)

More
4 years 11 months ago #69760 by jj~
Individual option/s , were not all alike and thus preference is what works best

More
4 years 10 months ago #69954 by ajay
I think the best way of meeting someone is not online dating (sorry) I know thats not what you wanted to hear! just because someone is disabled doesn't mean that they should date only disabled people, it's the same for able body people. You should date who ever you what too. I feel the old fashioned way is the best to meet someone to date. How about setting up a club thats for singles for everyone IE able body people and disabled to meet in real life. you could do things like pub,picnics, assorts. I really don't like the internet for dating you can be anybody you want online so it's dangerous.

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #69956 by jj~
Ajay ,
Your so right ~ people come here to socialize which is good.
Some specify I AM NOT HERE TO DATE and that is ok too. But DO NOT PRESUME EVEYONE COMIING HERE IS TO DATE.
Fools go online to meet the love of their life :)
jj~
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by jj~.

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.409 seconds