logolong

Need support: hypermobility and carpal instability

More
15 years 2 months ago #15798 by bombadil
Hello everyone,

Finding this forum has been an immense relief, a huge thank you to everyone involved. Here is my story:

I am a 23 year old male located in Canada, and almost a year ago I had to leave my work due to bi-lateral wrist injury. I worked as a computerized communication facilitator at a university. My job consisted of attending classes with deaf, deaf-blind, and hard of hearing students and using a laptop to relay all aural information (and sometimes visual information, in the case of deaf-blind students) to them. What this means is that I typed every single word or sound that happened in the class so that the student with the disability could participate fully.

After about six months of doing this job I started experiencing severe pain in my wrists and hands, including shooting pains and tingling/numbness.

I had to stop working and went on workers compensation. The first doctor I saw diagnosed it as a sprain and prescribed physiotherapy.

I saw a really good physiotherapist and she told me that I have carpal instability. She did these tests and found a lot of \"clunking\" in my wrist bones. She wrote me a note to give to my doctor explaining her findings.

I saw the doctor again, and offered him the note from my physiotherapist. He told me to throw it in the trash, and he told me that my body is simply \"weak\" and that I should have chosen a different job. I knew then that this doctor didn't know anything about wrist injuries so I went to find another one...

I was blessed to find a really great doctor at a sports medicine clinic who knows a great deal about wrist injuries. He diagnosed me right away as having intrinsic carpal hypermobility and wrist arthralgia. He prescribed physiotherapy, and a specific type of exercise called short arc strengthening (which has helped more than anything I think). He took X-Rays, but they looked normal (from what I understand, this is quite typical with carpal instability).

I also saw a neurologist and had nerve conduction tests done. The findings were all normal, ruling out carpal tunnel syndrome.

Around 7 months after my injury the major shooting pains in my fingers and numbness subsided, but I am still left with wrist pain whenever I use a computer. I still can not use a computer like I used to be able to, and sometimes even basic tasks like opening a jar is still hard for me.

Here is the problem: workers compensation has suspended by benefits. They said I had a pre-existing condition which is delaying my recovery. They are referring to my carpal hypermobility.

I realize that it is true that hypermobility predisposes one to RSI related injuries, but I don't think this is right. The truth is that I never had this type of pain before I was injured from my job, and I have not recovered.

My doctor is on my side and is sending new information to workers compensation, so we will see how that goes.

I am feeling very stressed out. Before I worked at the university I was a graphics and web designer, which obviously involves heavy computer use.

Has anyone else here been on workers compensation for carpal instability? Particularly if you have carpal hypermobility?

It's also been very stressful for me, as none of my friends and family really understand my injury, and I think some of them believe I am faking it to \"get free money\". And sometimes I would wonder if I am being selfish.

You have no idea how much better I feel now that I have found this forum. Though it has been a sort of mixed blessing... as I have also found out just how severe and serious my condition really is.

Any help or advice would be welcome,
Thank you and God bless

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago #15799 by IckleKitty
hi there it sounds a lot like ur finally getting the help and ur illness finally has a name, ie a doctor knows whats wrong finally, lol, I know what you mean about everyone thinking your faking it, all my family and my doctors were thinking that untill last month and I'm 38. lol. my family still havent come around and are still questioning it, don't want to beleive they were wrong. My story is on the other disabilities section, I have total joint hypermobility syndrome, afecting more than just my wrists, but I too went thru the tests for carpal tunnel, sore huh?
However hypermobility is a genetic heriditary syndrome so if u have it u've had it all ur life and will have it for the rest of ur life.

ur case against the payments thing could b tricky because of it being a life long hereditary illness.
u may have more luck persuing a case against ur ex doctor etc for misdiagnosing u in the first place, thus extending ur pain and suffering and necisating u having to switch doc. Any old joint injuries could also b indications of the syndrome.

lol anyway feel free to chat anytime I know wot ur going thru.

all the best. Kitty

More
15 years 2 months ago #15800 by Scott_1984
Hiya Bombadil :)

I am glad you've found this website, I've found it really helpful in meeting follow suffers of Mid Carpal Instability (MCI)/Palmar Midcarpal Instability (PMCI)

Or its also know has Wrist Instability & Carpal Instability, Wrist Sprains/Strains, & loads more :(

Your right about X-Rays & MRI-Scans are useless in detecting Carpal Instability, Unless its mainy years later & then Instability Patterns might appear on X-Rays & MRI-Scans, As all The Bones are out of Normal Aliment.

More
15 years 2 months ago #15801 by Scott_1984
Hiya Bombadil,

I don't know much about Hyper Mobility, But My EX-Employers Marks And Spencer Plc's Choosen Private & Retired Medical Expert - Mr. James Campbell Semple - Consultant Orthopeadic Hand & Upper-Limb Surgeon,

Said I had nothing wrong with My Left Hand/Wrist & It was just a Party Trick, Despite 3 inderpendent Consultant Orthopeadic Hand & Upper-Limb Surgeons, Physiotherapists, Other Doctors, Consultants, & Tribunal Bench, All confirming I had Mid Carpal Instability in My Left Hand/Wrist Only & It was due to The Accident/Injury to my left hand/wrist on 13-10-2002 & I had no signs or evidence of instability in my right hand/wrist at all & no signs of hyper mobility.

My EX-Employers Marks And Spencer Plc's Choosen Private & Retired Medical Expert - Mr. James Campbell Semple - Consultant Orthopeadic Hand & Upper-Limb Surgeon, Kept saying I had a large Capitate Carpal Bone & Weak Wrists & Now I could do a Party Trick & loads of over rubbish.

His managed to stop me having a limited &/Or full wrist fusion, Which will give me the best chance of a reducing The Pain, Discomfort, & getting ridd of The Wrist Clunking/Snapping, Popping, Clicking, In My Left Hand/Wrist.

More
15 years 2 months ago #15802 by Scott_1984
Just Some Mid Carpal Instability (MCI)/Palmar Midcarpal Instability (PMCI) Medical Journals Attachted: wristinstability.multiply.com

I am hoping to be able to upload all 86 Mid Carpal Instability (MCI)/Palmar Midcarpal Instability (PMCI) I have on My Hard Drive.<br><br>Post edited by: Scott_1984, at: 2009/02/08 09:49

More
15 years 2 months ago #15803 by Scott_1984
IckleKitty wrote:

hi there it sounds a lot like ur finally getting the help and ur illness finally has a name, ie a doctor knows whats wrong finally, lol, I know what you mean about everyone thinking your faking it, all my family and my doctors were thinking that untill last month and I'm 38. lol. my family still havent come around and are still questioning it, don't want to beleive they were wrong. My story is on the other disabilities section, I have total joint hypermobility syndrome, afecting more than just my wrists, but I too went thru the tests for carpal tunnel, sore huh?
However hypermobility is a genetic heriditary syndrome so if u have it u've had it all ur life and will have it for the rest of ur life.

ur case against the payments thing could b tricky because of it being a life long hereditary illness.
u may have more luck persuing a case against ur ex doctor etc for misdiagnosing u in the first place, thus extending ur pain and suffering and necisating u having to switch doc. Any old joint injuries could also b indications of the syndrome.

lol anyway feel free to chat anytime I know wot ur going thru.

all the best. Kitty

Your Post/Thread @ www.ablehere.com/component/option,com_jo...ew/id,15746/catid,56

Moderators: Scott_1984
Time to create page: 0.423 seconds