logolong

Need support: hypermobility and carpal instability

• Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 3 months ago #16190 by
Hi Scott

I am afraid I haven't heard anything from Mick. I do hope he is ok. Please let me know if you do hear from him. :(

Julie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 months ago #16192 by Scott_1984
Julie wrote:

Hi Scott

I am afraid I haven't heard anything from Mick. I do hope he is ok. Please let me know if you do hear from him. :(

Julie

Thanks Julie :)

Well hopefully his ok or just not got internet as present.

I'll keep everyone updated :)

I've made a post at: www.ablehere.com/component/option,com_jo...ew/id,16162/catid,22

More
15 years 3 months ago #16555 by bombadil
Hi again everyone,

Got back from seeing another doctor at a clinic today. I went to see if i could get a referral to the orthopaedic doctor I want to see.

The clinic doctor told me that the doctor i want to see is no longer accepting referrals or patients...

I told this doctor that i think i have carpal instability, and he said \"well the x-rays don't show anything\". I told him about dynamic carpal instability and how it does not show up on x-rays at first, and that physical examination and arthroscopy are the only ways to diagnose it.

He said that \"no one\" is going to do arthroscopy on me, because the waiting list is too long... what the hell?

This doctor ordered more blood tests, this time to see if I have arthritis. He also said that he doesn't think I have joint hypermobility, and i think he is right.

I am not sure what to do now. I guess go looking for another doctor?

in peace &amp; love ~<br><br>Post edited by: bombadil, at: 2009/01/27 20:59

More
15 years 3 months ago #16561 by Scott_1984
bombadil wrote:

Well today I got some really bad news and am completely stressed out.

Workers compensation will not cover me at all because the x-rays don't show anything.

I saw my doctor again today and he told me that he agrees my condition was pre-existing (hypermobility) and that it was just temporarily aggravated by the repetitive typing at my job. He says he can't find any objective evidence that my condition is permanently worse.

For some reason now he is saying I don't have carpal instability, just hypermobility.

I am so angry right now and scared and upset.

There is no way I can go back to typing 110 words per minute for 30 hours a week. Just slowly typing this post is hurting my wrists.

Basically all I can do now is look for some minimum wage job, and one that doesn't involve repetitive movements like a cashier or something.

All of my training and skill sets revolve around computer use.

It pisses me off because clearly something is worse, something is different in my wrists than before. ARG

Hiya,
Ryan,
Sorry to hear about your more bad news, I feel The Hospitals are taking The Piss.

I am glad this Doctor/Consultant doesn't think you have hyper mobility syndrome (HMS),

But sending away for Arthritis Blood Tests so soon after you've noticed signs of Dynamic Carpal Instability, Its very unlikely to have any signs of Arthritis or Osteoarthritis at this early stage, But Julie developed Arthritis before me &amp; I've been suffering from The Clunking, Snapping, Clicking, Popping, after the accident/injury to my left hand/wrist on: 13-10-2002,

You can ask you Doctor for this though, As it wouldn't be up to him or you decide weather you can have Wrist Arthroscopy, As any Consultant Orthopeadic &amp; Trauma Hand &amp; Upper-Limb Surgeon, Would need to do this after the following standard tests:

Physical Hand &amp; Wrist Examinations - www.maitrise-orthop.com/viewPage_us.do?id=153 & www.maitrise-orthop.com/corpusmaitri/ort...3_saffar/index.shtml & emedicine.medscape.com/article/1241610-overview & emedicine.medscape.com/article/1241610-overview

Midcarpal shift - To test for midcarpal instability on the right wrist, the examiner stabilizes the patient's forearm, with the left hand in a pronated position. With the patient's wrist in 15° of ulnar deviation, the examiner's right thumb exerts volarward pressure at the level of the distal capitate. The wrist is then simultaneously axially loaded at the metacarpals and ulnarly deviated. The result is positive if a painful clunk occurs that reproduces the patient's symptoms.

Special Test &amp; Stress Plan X-Rays - www.maitrise-orthop.com/corpusmaitri/ort...3_saffar/index.shtml & wristinstability.multiply.com/journal/item/14 & www.radiologyassistant.nl/en/42a29ec06b9e8 & www.wheelessonline.com/ortho/mid_carpal_instability

Videofluoroscopy &amp; Ultrasonography &amp; Arthrography &amp; Computed tomography &amp; Magnetic resonance imaging, with and without Arthrography &amp; Wrist Arthroscopy

Read This Website: emedicine.medscape.com/article/1245322-overview

An Consultant Orthopeadic &amp; Trauma Hand &amp; Upper-Limb Surgeon, Will often not need to do all the above tests, I've only had Physical Wrist &amp; Hand Examinations, 2 MRI Scans, Stress/Special Plan X-rays, &amp; on old Videofluoroscopy, &amp; Wrist Arthroscopy.

I hope this will help, I'll post this on Ablehere.Com too.

Wish You All The Best, Don't be ignored.

Keep Your Chin Up :)

Take Care &amp; Take It Easy

Scott &amp; Jon :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 2 months ago #16637 by
Hello Ryan

So sorry to hear your bad news, it seems you are being blocked at every turn.
My advice would definately be DON'T GIVE UP.
Get another doctors name and a referral and keep going until you get a doctor who understands and can really help you.
It took me ~2 years to get a proper diagnosis, from my 3rd doctor.
I did have arthritis and a joint replacement for it before I was diagnosed MCI. Therefore, even if your tests for arthritis do come back positive it doesn't help with your diagnosis of MCI - you can have MCI with or without arthritis. The arthritis can be a symptom of MCI or there independently and it's important to know which to get the correct treatment.
You really do need a doctor to carry out the proper tests. I can't believe you have been told you can't have an arthroscopy just for the reason of a long waiting list. I don't know what your health service is like in Canada but in England you can not give a reason like that.
I wish there was more I could say to help but I do know what it's like living like this - constant pain and inability to perform simple manual tasks and not being able to work at what you love and have trained for. Just ~4 years ago I had no problems and was enjoying my life and my work and now everything is so much more difficult. It is really hard to reevaluate your life but take time, get advice and lean on friends and family if you can.
Good luck. My thoughts are with you.
Julie

More
15 years 2 months ago #16678 by Scott_1984
Well Said Julie :)

Hello Julie &amp; Ryan :)

Hope your both ok :)

I've finally got a copy of Mr. Darwish's letter to My G.P., But not the one sent to Miss. Ang.

My G.P. has carried out Miss. Ang's request letter dated: 24-12-2008, Where she asked him to refer me to a Pain Clinic &amp; He sent this letter out on: 27-01-2009 &amp; I'd be going to tinyurl.com/PainClinic If I get on there waiting list,

Or if Miss. Ang manages to contact Mr. McCarthy who is away on sabbatical for 6 months &amp; not left clear guidlines what should happen to my MCI/PMCI if the Arthroscopic thermal capsulorrhaphy for palmar midcarpal instability/Thermal Capsulorrhaphy for Midcarpal Instability Operation was unsuccessful from: 24-07-2008,

&amp; I've had to write to My own Local Labour MP - Mrs. Meg Hillier &amp; ask why My Ex-Employers Marks And Spencer Plc's Chosen Private &amp; Retired Medical Expert - Mr. James Campbell Semple - Consultant Orthopeadic Hand &amp; Upper-Limb Surgeon &amp; Legal Team have been able to effect my limited or full wrist fusion, Which would stop The Clunking, Snapping, Clicking, &amp; Popping, From My Left Hand/Wrist, &amp; Arm,

&amp; Thus hopefully reduce alot of Pain &amp; Discomfort &amp; hopefuuly increas strength/power in the hand/wrist &amp; the maybe followed by Pain Managerment &amp; More Physiotherapy, s long as I've had a limited or full wrist fusion.

I am full aware that no MCI/PMCI will ever be 100% Pain Free or 100% Disability Free, Wrist operations only delay the worsening of the Wrist Disability &amp; to delay Osteoarthritis.

I've been doing twice a day Physiotherapy &amp; Hand, Wrist, &amp; Finger, Strengthening Excerises since: 13-10-2002 - Present, Painkillers (8 Tylex &amp; Other PAinkillers A Day), Hot &amp; Cold Therapy, &amp; Counselling,

Which are all bloody forms of Pain Managerment

Studies by Mr. David M Lichtman - Consultant Orthopeadic Hand &amp; Upper-Limb Surgeon, The Worlds Leading Expert In Mid Carpal Instability (MCI)/Palmar Midcarpal Instability (PMCI) do much better with a limited or full wrist fusion &amp; Pain Managerment,

Than those with Ligament Tightening Wrist Operatons or Pain Managerment on its own,

As MCI/PMCI is a Structural Problem &amp; needs surgery to correct it.

wristinstability.multiply.com/journal

BLOODY My Ex-Employers Marks And Spencer Plc's Chosen Private &amp; Retired Medical Expert - Mr. James Campbell Semple - Consultant Orthopeadic Hand &amp; Upper-Limb Surgeon &amp; Legal Team.

Moderators: Scott_1984
Time to create page: 0.464 seconds