logolong

When people give you problems because they don't know anything about depression

More
4 years 10 months ago #69960 by Latoday

So, tired of hearing why don't you get a job...
Or snap out of it...
Or can't you get over it...
The reason I don't talk to anyone about my stuff..
Any thoughts...
Or, it's not a real disability...
Clueless people out there...
Any ideas on how we can change this...
Thanks...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #69961 by jj~
Ignor, and if a friend, well they were never your friend to begin with.

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #69964 by MarianneOfTheSea
Most people just don't know what depression actually is. They think it is just sadness.

It is more than this. A sad person can switch to happy within a few minutes, depending on what is happening in their environment (maybe they were sad because they lost their dog, but found it and got happy and relieved). A depressed person cannot switch from depressed to not-depressed nearly as fast, as there are physical and chemical changes to the brain that need to change before the depression begins easing. I don't know how to magically balance neurotransmitters instantly; do you? I don't know how to fix a brain.

When people are clueless, take the opportunity to educate them. Point out the physical, chemical, solid problems behind depression; explain why it is different from merely being "sad" and why it might take a while to repair yourself and heal.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by MarianneOfTheSea.

More
4 years 10 months ago #69965 by BUBBADOG14
Sadly there isn't anyway to change ignorance! Some people are just hard wired to be that way. No education or even television programme can change their thought process. I have a step-sister who is clinically depressed and has tried to hold down a job and just can't do it, some days she can't get out of bed and I have a Brother in law who has depression and has even tried to take his life so I understand how over whelming depression can be. I've come across people who say to me why don't you get a job and it angers me as I would happily work if I could because I miss going out to work, I tried holding down a part-time job but I get so exhausted quickly if I do too much (which isn't a lot!) and need to sleep, also when my pain flares up I need to rest and end up in bed for several days! Also exhaustion brings on my seizure's which can then bring on a migraine so as you see just can't do it!! So rather than explain this to some ignorant person I take a deep breath and move on by. They are not worth your time or tears!

Moderators: Scott_1984
Time to create page: 0.411 seconds