logolong

Battling with Social Services about your care

More
8 years 1 month ago #61288 by riversidemarie
Not only are Social Services in crisis but it looks like this wonderful caring Government are going to reduce their social care bill by withdrawing the basic human right to be clean. We are fast becoming a third world country when it comes to basic care and dare I say it dignity. My carers, for whom I have to pay, report that agencies are making them sign up to contracts of up to 72 hours a week or not be guaranteed work. This is because of the Governments zero hours iniative. Trouble is they haven't thought it through. If they don't sign the contract they are only guaranteed 16 hours a week. They have families, morgages and their own lives. They need to know their income. It seems to me the Agencies are having a field day and increasing their charges two or three times a year. And Social workers, Occupational Therapists! I had one visit last year from each of them only to be told I qualify for absolutely nothing! I'm not rich and now I am spending so much money on care my outgoings exceed my incomings. Council taxes are rising. Don't forget to claim for a reduction because of disability. Nobody told me about this. Well not the powers to be. I would love to hear of anyone who has had a positive experience because it seems to me their job is to make life even harder for the disabled. At times we seem to be numbers, statistics that Government play with. Not human beings. They won't even let us choose to die in dignity!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #61289 by riversidemarie
Well done Karl. Keep battling. They seem to choose intellecually challenged individual! Do you think they have special courses to learn the art of not listening!

More
8 years 1 month ago #61295 by ladyship
Yeah keep battling on Karl. i'd try this site www.disabilityrightsuk.org/independent-living-links
for info to help with respite and help for your carers. i mean at 79, your mom can't be lifting you. can she??

I know my needs are not as serious as some, but fact remains without social care, I would go days w.o. a shower, never wear socks, struggle to put bins out and change the bed.
And you can get help to get a shower....whilst living in a tip and with grass 3 ft high!! Help with housework and gardening has to come out of your OWN budget and then they want to cut what we have to live on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: riversidemarie

More
8 years 1 month ago #61311 by BUBBADOG14
The nurses and doctor's at the Q.E hospital that took care of me after my accident have requested a social worker come and see me to assess me for a carer in the day while my husband is at work since it was my 5th fall at home alone and classed me as vulnerable. I know this is going to take time and I've got to go through assessments but I don't think I need a carer, we will have to wait and see.

More
8 years 1 month ago #61315 by ladyship
Flipping heck, if you are offered one, say YES! there will always be jobs that they can do, you might struggle with and I'm sure it would take the worry from your hubby.

If you say no, and things change its harder to get one BACK!

More
8 years 1 month ago #61319 by Karl
You should say yes for a carer then you can get funds to employ one.

Moderators: Karl
Time to create page: 0.392 seconds