logolong

Squirrel's out smarting me!!

More
11 years 2 months ago #46734 by BUBBADOG14
I'm blessed to live where I live, the nature around me is wonderful, from hundreds of birds to hedgehogs to foxes and the squirrels! We have a family of squirrels living in a oak tree in the next garden. I've watched them grow up. But they have got very clever over the years as well! I like to feed the birds as I'm a closet tweeter(bird watcher). But now the Squirrels are ruining that by as soon as I fill the feeders it's like they have a spying mission going on before I have even got back in the house they are on the fence and as soon as I close the door BOOM! There on the feeder! I have 2 feeders out and they rip the metal open and nicking the nuts. We got so fed up of trying to fix the feeders that I brought a 'Squirrel proof' bird feeding station from the RSPB, it arrived yesterday and my husband erected it in the garden and filled the feeders and this morning the cheeky bloomin squirrel had figured how to jump on the feeder and balance himself and get the nuts!! My husband has nicknamed him Clever Trevor! I was so annoyed I screamed out my bedroom window ' Oi squirrel get off that feeder or your going to be my new handbag!' I never thought the neighbours might hear me! I went outside and had a staring out compition with him as well and told him to p**s Off! without thinking the neighbours could hear me again! We have had to give in to Clever Trevor and give him a nut feeder and the birds get a feeder everyones happy! Watch those Squirrels there clever buggers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #46737 by Jana
Amanda, you have your work cut out for you! We have battled squirrels in our yard as well. We stopped feeding the birds because it was hopeless. I've seen people try various methods for "squirrel proofing" their bird feeders but I'm not sure any of them really work very well. I also put out separate food, a cob of corn nailed to the back deck. That attracted a few crows, but ultimately the squirrel got it loose and ran off with the whole corn cob. This same creature also loves to run along the brickwork on the front of our house to the door, where he bangs a walnut on the door knob until the shell breaks and he can eat the nut, leaving sharp pieces all over the front step. (Guess how I found out they were sharp!) About a year ago this creature got inside the wall of the house and we could hear him running in the walls and across the attic. He got himself stuck in the wall over the kitchen sink. It took putting two holes in the wall, me with a broomstick in one hole and my husband with a sack over the second hole to catch him. My husband let him go outside to go terrorize someone else. And then, of course we had to repair our kitchen wall, and then go around the house with caulk to fill any possible hole any thing could get through. It's maddening!

More
11 years 2 months ago #46752 by BUBBADOG14
They are really annoying & clever! But fun to watch that's the problem! My hubby is going to build an assult course with all sorts of challenges for them! That will be fun to watch them do it!!
There teeth are so sharp to bite through wire, which is quite thick on our bird feeder's my hubby keeps having to make his own way of fixing the feeders!!

More
10 years 4 months ago #51193 by stixx
My dogs are obsessed with squirrels at the moment, as soon as he sees one that,s it, I don't see him for the rest of the walk.. Just a brown blur now and again.

because of this squirrels tend to keep clear of our garden for some reason :) bird can eat in peace

More
10 years 4 months ago #51278 by Pam11
We also have a selection of wildlife
The squirrels are like little demons, there's isn't anything they can't get into
While they are lovely to watch l do resent them chasing away our little birds
Though my dogs chase them from the garden and there are a fair few cats around, nothing deters the little devils.
I must admit I don't like them as much as I used to since I was told they are only rats with long fur.
That sent shivers up my spine

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.379 seconds