logolong

Disabled Dogs

More
4 years 10 months ago #70017 by giffordstephen57
The kennel where we adopted our sled dog Velma had a dog that lost his eyesight, but was such an energetic puller that they kept him on the team. This was only possible because he had a loyal brother who looked out for him. So, the mushers learned to always pair Gonzo who was blind with his brother Poncho as they harnessed the dozen dogs to the sled. Whenever Gonzo veered off the course or fell off the edge of the packed down trail, his brother would grab his harness and pull him back into his proper position. This kennel allows all their senior and disabled dogs to remain at the kennel to at least enjoy each other's company even if they are no longer able to pull. They offer them for adoption, but only to caring owners who will accommodate their individual needs & behaviors. Here's a photo of Gonzo & Poncho.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #70019 by BUBBADOG14
Replied by BUBBADOG14 on topic Disabled Dogs
I believe all dogs and cats who are OAP's and disabled deserve happy homes to live their lives out, at the end of the day they will give love and companionship to their new families just like young and able bodied pets. Every animal deserves a happy home unless it's in pain or is dangerous and could cause harm to people.

More
4 years 10 months ago #70021 by giffordstephen57
Replied by giffordstephen57 on topic Disabled Dogs
Yes, the pain part is hard to determine because pets are so loyal. I once built a wheeled contraption for a friend's dog that got hit by a car and lost use of its hind legs. The dog managed to get around, but was not truly happy or independent and became incontinent so the owner made the hard choice to have it put down. At least we all tried, and the dog knew that its master loved him. I have had to put a couple dogs down and it's the HARDEST thing. But I keep on adopting new ones.

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #70040 by PIPPIN2782
Replied by PIPPIN2782 on topic Disabled Dogs
It is nice when you can help a pet out that is in distress or just needs someone to help it out in anyway that there can. Even if a pet has a disability there sure should get to live a happy life as mobile as possible.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by PIPPIN2782.
The following user(s) said Thank You: giffordstephen57

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.502 seconds