logolong

Has anyone had multiple recurrent DVT's and Pe's?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 5 months ago #31950 by
I ask because Ive never found a reason why an appparent healthy individual should suddenly wake up one mornning coughing blood up and be in such pain from Multipul blood clots in the legs & lungs, doctors have told me nothing that I dont already know I must have a genetic disease that doesnt necessarily kick in until you are nearly thirty years old.

I spent eight hours a day five days a week for two years in the Portsmouth central library looking for answers and all I wanted was a name to what I have it is so difficult to accept such a radical change in your life when you know you were once a healthy active person, the only clue I found was just a possibility that the chemicals I was spraying at work could have caused a reaction with my blood. I found out about how anticoagulants were found apparently an american soldier took an over dose of rat poison containning warfarin and they monitored his blood clotting levels and found that all it did was thin his blood, so a big thank you to the american soldier who tried to kill himself eating rat poison he saved my life because anticoagulants didnt exist 40 years ago and my condition would have killed me without them. I would still love to put a name to my condition but I guess there are many others out there that are in the same circumstances with no real explannation as to why they became suddenly critically ill? to date I have had 19 dvts in my legs and fibve pulmonary emboli (bloodclots in the pulmonary arteries of my lungs) since 1989 each episode causes more circulation problems in my legs as the scarr tissue blocks the deep veins and the blood builds up in the surface tissues of my legs instead of being returned through the normal veins to my heart, apparently everybodies legs swell to some extent every day mine end up twice the size they are when I get up in the mornning by the end of the day.

a constant supply of dihydracodiene or in old fashioned term DF118's helps with the pain this causes I am not allowed stronger pain killers because I was stupid over a relationship that ended once and used my medication as a possible way out of this world something I would never recommend to anyone.

I have also had problems with dry eye and I have been blind for three months thanks to the recent discovery that I have diebeties type 2. the lack of circulation in my legs grew heel spurs on my heels a condition usually akin to people who stand up all day and the only relief I could get was to have depomedrone steriod injections injected down to the bone in both of my heels every three months to ease the pain.
the steriod injections have caused further circulation problems and nerve damage in my feet this results in my getting severe cramp in my feet every night, if this spreads up my legs it can be literally hours before I can get back to sleep. I have to force myself to stand up to increase the movement of blood down my legs a difficult task when wide awake never mind half a sleep, god this is sooo painfull.

my neighbours have asked me if I am ok the next day because they have heard me groanning in pain at night.
I find the diebeties hard to cope with and because of the meds I am on I have to test my sugars regularly myself I can't stand the thought of having to go on to insulin to get better control of my sugars it doesnt bother me about the needles as nedles haver been a big part of the last twenty years in my life what worries me is loosing my driving license and not getting it back again, people on insulin need to reapply for a new driving license every three years.

this year i made age 45 and my brilliant long distance eyesight started to fail and now I need glasses it seems of late that a new problem arrives every year and is somehow connected to the main problem that started it all of years ago. the anticoagulants i take to prevent my blood clotting are called Phenindione Not warfarin I cant take those they make me swell up looking like the michelin man.

phenindione anticoagulants need to be taken twice a day as they go through your system faster than warfarin which is taken once a day, I alsdo have an inguinal hernia which has been brought on by my job when I was much younger building snooker tables I used to lift the slates on my own and yes I know they are very heavy five of them weigh in at nearly a ton. i also used to lift the corners of the built snooker tables up so that others could level them with beermats, they used to call me the human forklift in those days, I should have considered the consequenses of my actions comming back to haunt me in the future because we had no EU rules to protect us at work in those days. the complications an operation might cause to heal the hernia by stopping the ani clotting drugs are a risk to far for the surgeons so I have to live with the hernia and not lift anything heavy enough to aggrivate it. anyway i'm notlooking for sympathy just maybe someone who has had similar health problems who maybe able to share some similarity to my confusing little world of problems, I find it difficult to keep my chin up sometimes and do get fed up with being poked and prodded by doctors, I completely gave up last spring and decided not to go tothe doctoras or the hospital ever again tthe cheky beggars threatened to write me off all of the doctors lists because they couldnt manage my conditions if I didnt attend, so never letit be said that I am not keep people employed even if I am permenantly off sick myself as I get back to normal and start attending my appointments again.

I got punishment for not being a good boy and not attending as a new pair of shoes caused a blister in the arch of my right foot which has now turned into a full blown venous ulcer that probably wont heal over for at least a couple of years, as I said one thing after another isnt it any wonder I get fed up with being ill?

;)
regards Nigel.<br><br>Post edited by: oojimmyflip, at: 2010/11/03 02:27

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.309 seconds