logolong

Is there anyone.....

More
15 years 7 months ago #8529 by Posh
Is there anyone..... was created by Posh
Is there anyone who does (In House) Disability Awareness Training?

I heard a rumour that there is a company somewhere in the UK, run by disabled people, and who goes into the workplace, and does DAT.
Apparently, the way they work is, to \"gift\" a disabiilty to the trainee, and work with them throughout the day doing their normal work, but with a disability, whether it be wheelchair use, or partial sight, or deafness, or on crutches or sticks.
that'd be a nightmare as far as Health & Safety is concerned, but somehow they found a way around that!

Give you an example:
Able bodied worker, \"gifted\" a wheelchair disability. Throughout working day, worker appreciates difficulties (getting to loo etc, using PC desk, lifts, ramps etc).
Another able bodied worker \"gifted\" a sight impaiment (darkened glasses?). Appreciates difficulties with that disability.
Many others.

So is there a company who does this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 7 months ago #8560 by ducky
Replied by ducky on topic Re:Is there anyone.....
I have now idea posh, never heared of a company like that

• Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 7 months ago #8655 by
Replied by on topic Re:Is there anyone.....
Likewise..not heard..but never looked...Will investigate Posh xxxx;)

More
14 years 3 months ago #29438 by WorkplaceDisabilityAdjust
Hi,
I have not heard of a business specifically delivering Disability Awareness Training in this specific way.
I arrange all types of disability awareness training and have developed bespoke training such as you describe for employers in the past, is there anything specific you are looking for?
Adam.

More
13 years 7 months ago #31050 by angel of love
hi posh i dont no if remploy would be able to help you my husband is a welfare rights worker (volunteer) so knows about benefits and other free thing that are on offer for disabled people :P

More
13 years 7 months ago #31051 by WorkplaceDisabilityAdjust
Hi Posh,

I have trawled through all the training companies that I know of and have not found someone who specifically delivers this type of \"GIFT\" training.

Most Disability Consultancies and Trainers would be able to deliver bespoke training to clients, but resorting to this type of training is a very last resort and very patronising for disabled people.

I do use scenario training for groups, where they sit in a wheelchair to see what it is like and sight impairment glasses to help people to understand, but would not \"GIFT\" someone a disability for a day, and I do not think that Health & Safety would permit such training as it would expose the \"gifted\" person to so many risk assessments.

Adam.

Moderators: NaomiB
Time to create page: 0.401 seconds