logolong

just dipping my toes in the water

More
14 years 10 months ago #25979 by bubbles
Hi everyone, my name is Thea, I'm 30 and live in the North East of England. I thought I'd \"dip my toes in the water\" so to speak, as it's a little scary introducing myself to you all!

I have a rare incurable disease which limits my mobility and leaves me in hospital regularly. It causes extreme weakness, a lot of pain, tiredness, lack of concentration, low blood sugar, low blood pressure, black-outs, vomiting and other unpleasant symptoms. When it's bad it's potentially life threatening and I've had a few close calls.

I was diagnosed nearly two years ago and had to give up my job as a philosophy teacher and give up my passion for surfing which I did every weekend and holiday. I also have a connective tissue disorder which means my joints dislocate on a regular basis and require surgery, plus I have asthma and severe allergies.

It was a huge shock when I was first diagnosed with this disease, but a relief to know what was wrong. I've come to accept the fact that my life hasn't turned out as planned and that I'm taking a different path now.

I've lost a lot of friends as I've not been able to get out and about, and I used to be such an active person. My best friends have stuck by me though. I'm at a point where I feel like I want to talk to, and meet, other people with disabilities, who really understand how I feel and the problems I face on a day to day basis.

I'm really pleased to have found a website like this, and hope I'll get chatting to some of you soon!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago #25981 by Karl
Hi

Welcome to able here family! We are very friendly.

Im sure you will meet new friends here.

What is the name of your disease?

Karl

• Visitor
  • Visitor
14 years 10 months ago #25982 by
Hi Thea and a very warm welcome to you ..... Most of us have our daily challenges ( in various modes and degrees)...and the one thing it give us is..Empathy...plus ,in some cases a very outwardly odd SOH....
Hope you enjoy talking with us xxxx ;) :whistle:

More
14 years 9 months ago #25989 by bubbles
Thanks!

My condition is called Addison's Disease. Some people with it are lucky enough to live relatively normal lives with medication. Others, like myself, are right at the other end of the spectrum - but I guess most conditions/ illnesses/ disabilities are like that.

I try not to dwell on it too much, as there are always people in worse situations. I managed to dislocate my thumb again today just by getting out of bed - so I've got it in plaster for a few days and can't type too much right now :lol: !

More
14 years 9 months ago #26010 by Karl
bubbles wrote:

I managed to dislocate my thumb again today just by getting out of bed - so I've got it in plaster for a few days and can't type too much right now :lol: !

How is your thumb? YOU dont need your fingers to type because I dont. I use a headpointer to type :)

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.385 seconds