logolong

Power chair issues - needs advice

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #62698 by dianajune
I purchased a used Shoprider 6 Runner 14 HD powerchair a few months ago. The young man I bought it from said it was several years old and the person he sold it for still had the original batteries in it.

It's been working pretty good and I've been going around town with it, but the range has decreased significantly.

The weight limit is 450 pounds. I am well under that limit, so it's not like I'm putting it through the wringer or anything.

The chair doesn't seem to like many stops and starts or rough terrain (like the backyard behind my apartment building). It can get pretty bumpy there.

I took this chair to a nearby store and for the first time - at that particular distance - the meter went down to the red zone and started beeping. I made it home ok but am concerned about how much longer this will be a problem until I am able to buy new batteries. They don't come cheap as you probably all know.

Questions:

1. Is there anything I can do to improve the performance of my batteries?
2. Does anyone here know of a good place online where I can buy new batteries at a reasonable price?
3. The charger has two lights - red and green - and when it's fully charged both lights are green. I have found during the past week or so that it appears to be fully charged even though it's not taking nearly as long to get there. When I first got the chair it took a minimum of 5 or 6 hours for both lights to go green. Now it's more like 2-3 or so. What does that mean?
4. Does anyone know which brands are good and ones I should avoid?

I would appreciate any advice you have for me. Thanks!
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by dianajune. Reason: Forgot to add last question

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #62702 by BUBBADOG14
Karl may be the best person to talk to about this problem he is the guru on all electric wheelchairs and scooters. So see if you can catch up with him or just send him a message.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dianajune

More
7 years 8 months ago #62707 by Karl
Basically your batteries are knackered.

You could buy them online but the P&P will be expensive as they are heavy and who will fit them for you!.

Phone afew mobility shops to get afew prices

• Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 8 months ago #62711 by
Replied by on topic Power chair issues - needs advice
Let me try answers for you
1. Sadly there is nothing you can do to improve the batteries you have. They are toast
2 I see you are in the US. I suggest you try Walmart. They do have mobility batteries at a lower cost than other places. The prices are always jacked up at "disability suppliers"
3. The red light is to show your power is on. With the charge taking much less time to get to a full charge I will refer you back to question 1. Your batteries are not good. They are only taking a partial charge.
4 I have no recommendation regarding any specific brand to get or to avoid.

More
7 years 8 months ago #62718 by dianajune
Thanks to all who responded! :cheer:

I'm going to keep looking. Walmart.com had a small selection but their prices weren't as good as some other websites. I don't know if this would be different at the local store but will check with them tomorrow.

The best price I found was on Ebay. I think the brand was "Mighty Max."

What really gets me is how much they charge for these batteries (as opposed to marine or automotive). What is there about mobility scooter/powerchair batteries that they have to charge such a high price? Maybe due to most people having insurance that would cover this? I don't, so this will be out of pocket.

I will keep you posted on this search. Tx!

More
7 years 8 months ago #62731 by BUBBADOG14
The price of any parts for a mobility aid are a bit crazy you might as well get a second mortgage to pay for them!! Where do these people who decide what benefits people get come from, more than likely some suit who gets paid stupid money while some people live hand to mouth! We have to live on pittance because the government have been cutting benefits, they might as well pay you fresh air! Sorry rant over!! :blush:

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.393 seconds