logolong

public buses with wheelchair access

More
8 years 12 hours ago #61379 by BUBBADOG14
I agree with you Karl, remove the luggage area and give more room. And along the row of seats below the window put a rope (or two!) to secure buggies. If you ask me buses need new designs so they are accessible for wheelchairs, wider passage ways and room for more than chair. That's why I prefer to use taxi's or hospital transport! As I only really go out alone to hospitals or Doctors!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #61388 by ladyship
I don't think they CAN remove the luggage bit. on buses I've seen (bham, telford and london) its ABOVE the wheel arch and you can't remove the wheel!
I tend to use taxis a lot as well. In Telford, we can get 1 wheelchair and 1 buggy on. but where I live the buses are quite frequent. I have had to wait for 3 once however.

More
7 years 11 months ago #61390 by BUBBADOG14
I haven't been on a bus in again (see previous post about social services!) 20 odd years! After my legs started to give way and lose there strength it was to dangerous for me to use buses, I fell when I stood up to get ready for my stop and that was the end of me using buses.

More
7 years 11 months ago #61396 by Karl

ladyship wrote: I don't think they CAN remove the luggage bit. on buses I've seen (bham, telford and london) its ABOVE the wheel arch and you can't remove the wheel!
I tend to use taxis a lot as well. In Telford, we can get 1 wheelchair and 1 buggy on. but where I live the buses are quite frequent. I have had to wait for 3 once however.

Ah I didn't think about the wheel arch. oops. Back to the drawing board. Lol

More
7 years 11 months ago #61406 by riversidemarie
You are lucky where you live! Here we have nothing like that.Somehow you are expected to "TELEPORT" your wheelchair into the bus! Or do as I have learnt to do. Don't bother. I think that's the general user-friendly idea!

More
7 years 11 months ago #61407 by riversidemarie
Talkiing of access what about toilets! In my city I have to use a "radar" key or in some places queue up and ask nicely for the key or code to the disabled toilets! Nice, a bit like being back at school and asking for permission to leave the classroom to use the toilets! Where do I get a radar key. The "Powers to Be" have not told me about this one along with the other things they haven't told me about! Thank God for friends and fellow sufferers of disabillity. In some public toilets, especially during the winter periods the attendant has clocked off early and I'm expected to make a telephone call to have the toilet for the disabled unlocked!!! I wouldn't be using the toilet if it wasn't fairly urgent!

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.433 seconds