logolong

mans 7mile scooter ordeal...arriva/rail ..wales

More
15 years 7 months ago #6601 by suzan
Man's seven-mile scooter ordeal

Mr Wali said he was 'scared' as he made his way home.
A disabled man claimed he had to travel seven miles (11 km) home on his mobility scooter because a train was too full to allow him on.

Geoffrey Wali, 60, said he travelled from Fairbourne to Barmouth, Gwynedd in the morning, but was told he could not travel back on the 1645 train.

Mr Wali said he had to make his own way home, finally arriving at 1930 BST.

Arriva Trains Wales said their service should have been better and apologised for any distress caused.

\"I wanted to go to the bank in Barmouth and so I rang Arriva trains, which I have to do every time, but no-one answered,\" said Mr Wali about the incident.

\"I decided to chance it and they let me on, but on the way back the two carriages on the train were full.

\"People were like sardines, some even standing with babies in their arms,\" he said.

Mr Wali said he decided to try and make his own way to his home at the Springfield Hotel in Fairbourne.

Following the main roads would have meant a 13 mile (21km) journey, but he used a small toll bridge which cut his journey to around seven miles, he said.

\"I got back ok, but it was a bit traumatic as it's quite scary on a scooter when you are passed by cars and bikes.\"

He added: \"I could understand it in winter, but it is disgusting that there were only two carriages on the train, as they do not seem to be catering to the holiday season at all.\"

Hotel owner Geoff Brittain, said: \"If a car had come around one of the corners Mr Wali would not have stood a chance whatsoever.

\"It is so dangerous when you think this is a 60mph road and the mobility scooter goes 8mph maximum.\"

Holiday period

Arriva Trains Wales head of franchise, Michael Vaughan said it was clear that lessons had to be learned from the incident.

\"We will look at ways of improving our journey care procedures in this context,\" he said.

\"It is unfortunate that we are unable to convey some scooter types, and I would still urge any intending customers to contact us so that we can make the necessary assessment of their vehicle.\"

On the size of the train Mr Vaughan said, \"every train we have is deployed to best use over the busy summer holiday period\".

Some \"capacity\" had been redeployed from commuter routes to holiday routes over the summer, but \"flexibility\" was limited because of \"finite resources\" he said.

The situation would be monitored, he added.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/7549864.stm

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :angry: wots the point of asking us to contact them....when they dont pick up the phones ????.........ever get the feeling that they just dont care???????

:(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 7 months ago #6608 by ducky
that seems to be a favouite saying <lessons have to be learnt> for the private sector and the goverment.. when this and other things make the headlines..:angry:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 7 months ago #6647 by
Welsh??? Wheelchair ???? Kept Off Train ??? Was this Robbert xxxx ;) :woohoo: :whistle: ( nutter) xxxx

More
15 years 7 months ago #6702 by Karl
Mr. walli was a wally :P

At least he got home before his battery ran out.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 7 months ago #6715 by
Karl wrote:

Mr. walli was a wally :P

At least he got home before his battery ran out.

And saved train fare....must have been worth a pint xxx;)

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.389 seconds