logolong

After over 5 years it's happened! Why?

More
8 years 5 months ago #59627 by BUBBADOG14
I have had my 1st Gran Mal Seizure in 5 years! It happened Sunday night. The only logical reason I have for it happening is because of being ill with the flu and chest infection and suffering with a flare up everything is low at the moment my immune system,inflammatory markers and blood cell counts. So it's triggered something in my brain to cause a grand mal. Maybe I'm clutching at straws but it's the only reason I can come up with.
The following user(s) said Thank You: riversidemarie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #59628 by Will
I had to look Gran Mal Seizure up on the internet. Hope you're feeling better now and full "back to normal" status has been achieved. Life seems very unfair sometimes. Stay strong, we all stand together.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BUBBADOG14, riversidemarie

More
8 years 5 months ago #59632 by riversidemarie
I remember when my son ran high temperatures I used to have to tepid sponge him to lower very high temperatures that he would run to avoid an epilectic fit. He did not suffer from them but I was always told that when one's temperature is high there is always a risk of a febrile convulsion because the brain overheats. And triggers a convulsion, similar to epilepsy. I also found tthat when I was teaching the children that did suffer from epilepsy if they got hot, would suffer more tendency to epilepsy and fit sometimes. So I think that you maybe right and that your high temperature did trigger your fit. Let's hope so. I suggest that if you have an infection and run a high temperature that you mget in the shower or get someone to tepid sponge you. When you are very hot it is not nice for the person (they often shiver a lot-have to get the temperature just right-enough to lower temperature but not so cool that they feel really cold). It is hard to do to oneself, because the last thing you want is to drag yourself into the shower and get you to make what seems to you , as cold. Seems silly but another person is better at judging when you are cool enough, by temperature thermometer or by touch. I know my son used to hate it but realised that he felt better by using this method and would tolerate it in future infections, knowing that he would feel better. I hope this will help others, especially parents of young children and teens. I was told about it by my GP and it certainly works. When I have had flu etc. I used flannel, cool, on my forehead to ease pain and heat but I nevver knew why, to my shame. But it is obvious-it cools the brain. Now, whatever I feel like, aches and pains, I force myself to cool especially if I think I am having a relapse. I've told my carers to drag me in even if I think I don't want it. It does work! Even if I hate it and I do! Many parents and loved ones or carers think they are being cruel but tthey are not! I wish you all luck. You may not be the flavour of the month initially but in retropect you will!
The following user(s) said Thank You: BUBBADOG14

More
8 years 5 months ago #59634 by Jana
Hi Amanda, long time since I've posted here. I'm so sorry you had that seizure. I've never had one so I can't say that I "get it", but my one brother used to get febrile seizures and a niece of mine had petit mal seizures as a kid. I'm guessing it was just too much all at once on your body and it happened. I know that when my pain is bad, like really bad, and I try to tough it out I start getting shaky and nauseous and sometimes my body has just frozen up. It is scary. I'm really rooting for you that you don't have any more or at least not for a long long time! Hang in there!
The following user(s) said Thank You: BUBBADOG14, riversidemarie

More
8 years 5 months ago #59657 by BUBBADOG14
Thank you all for being so sweet, I had a ruff day with this flu/chest infection yesterday so had a sofa day. Still got a bit of a cough but things seem to have turned a corner (hope, might just have hexed myself!). So fingers crossed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: riversidemarie

Moderators: malh007
Time to create page: 0.414 seconds