logolong

Adaptations to the home

More
15 years 2 months ago #16874 by elliecrawshaw
I am a third year student at the University of Leeds, studying BA Social Policy. My dissertation is on research into the experience of adaptations in the home for disabled people.

I am extremely interested on the individual experience and opinions (positive and negative) of disabled people regarding gaining their adaptations. Within this I wish to address matters of attitudes of bodies concerned (such as builders, architects, occupational therapists, landlords, local authorities, etc), issues of funding (for example access to the Disabled Facilities Grant), and the general overall experience of obtaining adaptations to the home, (such as whether adaptations carried out have been beneficial, and will continue to be so, or any concerns you may have or have had about the process.) I will use your experiences as examples to illustrate existing literature on adaptation.

If you could take the time to write me a small paragraph on your individual experiences concerning adaptation to the home and issues surrounding it, I would be extremely grateful. Ideally, as rules regarding email contact differ between forums, it would be beneficial to me if you could post your responses into the group. Hopefully this may generate further discussion which I would like to encourage! The information you give to me will not go beyond my dissertation, and I will ensure that all names and locations will be changed in my work, although your post will be seen to other members of the group. If at any time you wish to withdraw your information from my study please let me know, and I shall do so immediately. I may ask further questions after your initial post, but it is at your discretion whether or not you wish to answer them, due to right to confidentiality and the sensitive nature of my research.

Many thanks in advance for your time, I would be extremely grateful for your help with my research.

Ellie Crawshaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago #16877 by Karl
Replied by Karl on topic Re:Adaptations to the home
This could be an interesting topic

Im from Hull, adaptations takes about 10 to 12 months here. Is this quick or slow?

Karl

More
15 years 2 months ago #16879 by Posh
Replied by Posh on topic Re:Adaptations to the home
I needed an access ramp for my front door.
OT came, looked, said no ,can't have one, as the only type they supply would encroach on neighbour's land.

10 months or so later, I called OT again, said i had letter from neighbour saying it was ok, also got fire prevention officer out to look, and letter from him.
OT came out again, looked , and wnt away with report and letters.

Nothing heard of, until 3 years down line, when OT rang to say funding not allowed.

So in the end, I found one myself, went to bank, got money to pay for it, got local firemen to put it down for me. Now at least I can use my front door!

Another one...
needed a shower, wanted a power shower. OT came, looked, said would have to take bath out. (No way, I paid over £600 for that special bath) to put wet room in. All I wanted was a shower, I said. No can do said OT.
So in the end I got local plumber to supply and fit a power shower over my bath, with pump. total cost less that £300

With cut backs in OT services here in Hampshire, it's getting more and more difficult to get anything. and waiting times alone, before an OT visits, can be anything up to 16 weeks! And that's for \"urgent\".

More
15 years 2 months ago #16898 by elliecrawshaw
Dear Posh,

Thank you so much for your swift reply, that information is extremely helpful for myself, I am extremely grateful. May I quote you in my research (University Dissertation)?

Also, I was wondering if I could ask you more questions, regarding your experience with OT- do you believe that service cutbacks are the reason for the poor service and lack of assistance or that it is the attitudes of the OT and local authority itself? Also may I ask about the attitudes of the local plumber and local firemen to assisting you?

Many thanks again for your quick reply and help, I am extremely grateful.

Ellie Crawshaw

More
15 years 2 months ago #16900 by elliecrawshaw
Dear Karl,

Many thanks for your reply! Unfortunately I am not sure whether this is quick or slow, but hopefully something that I can establish in my research. May I ask if you yourself have had your home adapted by the local authorities in Hull, and how you have found this experience?

Many thanks again for your reply, it is much appreciated.

Ellie Crawshaw

More
15 years 2 months ago #16905 by Posh
Replied by Posh on topic Re:Adaptations to the home
Course you can Ellie, if you wish. it's all common knowledge now anyhow.

Unfortunately, OT services differ from County to County. Where someone needing a shower in say for example, Surrey, could wait around 6-8 weeks from initial enquiry to completion, someone else needing a shower (for the same reason, and with the same disability) in say, Devon, may have to wait around 20-30 weeks.

Notice, I picked two of the \"richest\" counties. There are other factors which need to be considered too, like for instance is the adaptation need in a rural or urban property, and what is the ratio of need. Also, is the property owner occupied, or rental, and if rented, is it a private landlord, or Housing Association. These are all factors which must be considered.

I think the OT's in our area have a very difficult job, there are only ( AFAIK) 6 OT's covering the whole county!
And with their funding being cut year on year, they are having to make difficult decisions, and very often are having to go with cheaper (and not such good quality) alternatives.<br><br>Post edited by: Posh, at: 2009/02/03 17:26

Moderators: Karl
Time to create page: 0.399 seconds