logolong

why are there so many anti-disabled people?

More
13 years 2 months ago #33846 by angelmate
I am absoulutly furious! i went out this morning to a sunday boot fair and market, i approched one of the cafe,s with my friend and was having a bit of trouble on the step up to the cafe, then suddenly a lady appears and tell my friend in front of me! sorry she can,t come in,in case she fall,s over???

I am furious! not only did this woman treat me as if i am stupid she also was very rude, she treated me as if i were a baby, she didnt talk to me but to my friend!! just because i walk with a stick and can,t walk normally whatever normal is! why do people do this? and i,d like to ask am i alone in this or is this the norm nowadays? i felt embarrassed and told this lady, i am nether stupid or deaf, just because i can,t walk like you doe,s not mean i am dumb! you are very rude and i will speak to the manager about your attitude!.

Can i ask whomever read,s this, have you ever had similar problem,s? if so what did you do? i am very very upset, this is not the first time i have come accross an ignorant person, i feel so frustrated by the way i am treated, my friend who i went with is able bodied, however i do have another friend who is in a wheel-chair due to severe c.p, she use,s her board to speak due to her serve c,p she is very intellegent and on several occasion,s has brought several able bodied people down with her witty remark,s!! how i wish she had been with us!! i would welcome any comment,s on this subject

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 2 months ago #33853 by
Angel...Im sorry you had to suffer the ignorance and unacceptably bad behaviour of a so-called fellow human being ..... The trouble , in my mind, is we allow ill educated morons to leave school without any adequate education and then mix with the rest of society......Its a combination of intolerance..ignorance...fear...and total lack of empathy......They tend to adopt the....Does he/she take sugar..they would ask anyone wioth you and yes Ive had it done to me ...My response has always been simple ( for me)..Ive raised my voice to a level that they find disconcerting....point out the error of their ways..the fact they are contravening several national and local by-laws and that I never normally converse with such Thick Scum but will make an exception on this occassion...smile and suggest they...Go Forth and Multiply......What raising your voice tends to achieve is an audiance of other more genuine humans who often support your opinion.....;)xxxxx and hugs to you xxxxx

More
13 years 2 months ago #33861 by BUBBADOG14
I Too have had to deal with able-bodied people who have treated me like a piece of s**t on thier shoe! And yes they always speak to my husband or whoever I am with at the time.But what I have to deal with the majority of the time is not just disabled person abuse but Ageism abuse! What people throw at my husband is 'she is to young to be disabled and in a chair!' The majority of the time it happens when we pull into a disabled car parking space! My husband gets the wheelchair out the boot and bring it round to me and as he is getting me out of the car these and I hate to say it rude old people come up to us and say wait for this!! 'you shouldn't be parking here it is for disabled people!' and my husband will reply 'well what is this!' pointing at the chair and they reply 'she is too young to be in a chair!' that is when I pipe up 'I'm sorry is there a starting point for when people become disabled?' and they look at me shocked as if to say she can speak!:angry: and they carry on being totally rude and trying to tell me I am too young to have osteo-porosis untill after throwing my blue badge in there faces and drawing a crowd (cause as you say Tony if you almost shout at these totally rude vile people) when I repeat what they had said to me everyone around will become shocked at what the old person/people have said to me and gang up against them! Then the rude person/people will scuttle off!This does seem to happen quite abit! When I see an old person heading to our car I usually roll my eyes at my husband and he will just slam the badge at the window,if they pipe up as I have shown thats what happens.I also had an encounter on a holiday but I will save that little gem for another day! Angel as you can see you are sadly not alone!:(

More
11 years 11 months ago #43429 by henryscat
;)

Hi,there,Tony,

and yes I do agree with everything you mentioned in your post. It is darned hard graft being a disabled person in this country because there is a serious underbelly of society who are totally non tolerant of disabled people. However,I feel free and comfortable enough to tell you that I suffer chronic depression along with other physical disabilities. This is because I trust you but the difference between you and them out there is that you would never call me a loony or treat me as if I were a danger to life and limb.

A subject as emotive as this one can lead folk into a rant and I do believe I could go off on one with folk who do not know that pain is pain no matter what form it takes. In my case I have to be extremely careful of what I say to folk because one gentleman once told me he would rather be six foot under than go through life with something wrong with his head. That hurt! I do agree,Tony,tell them to take a sexy walk down the path.

Take Care,bro
Trevor.

More
11 years 11 months ago #43430 by henryscat
:silly:

You've got a cat !! Me and Joan recently bought two wee kittens we have named Rosie and Poppy. Total destruction machines with appetites like a couple of starving elephants. you never know what they will do next but at the moment it does seem as if they have a telent for scaling your net curtians. Toes are their favourite chewing objets and fighting on your head comes a close second.

yes there are a lot of ignorant folk out there and I do understand why disabled folk become angry and upset because it seems to be a regular event for us and many others. I am just grateful for finding Able Here because I can chunner away without being afraid of discussing my illnesses. Like the old saying goes, I never thought it would happen to me !! Unfortunately it does and to millions of others too.

I am so glad that your husband is a nice bloke because my wife is as disabled as I am so we can at least rattle and drop to bits and have a laugh at the same time. The only problem is that I do comfort eat and me and mr Cadbury's have a wee understanding;if you know what I mean. Keep on using the old lubrication method,,oil can,,and maybe perhaps you could learn a BIKER PHRASE WHICH IS CALLED DILLIGAF.

It means; Does It Look Like I Give A ---- !!! Keep the Rubber Side Down Sister.

Kind Regards
Trevor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RogerNZ

More
11 years 10 months ago #44130 by Jana
I guess reading this thread I'm a little shocked that someone would not be allowed to enter a building because of a disability, but I've certainly been avoided while shopping. At least most of the larger stores here have motorized carts one can use. I admit, I've had to use the "Have you heard of the Americans with Disabilities Act" thing with store staff. But on the upside, some places offer free help from staff to go with you as you shop so they can reach things for you. It varies where you are. I'm in a fairly rural area. One is to be stoic, suck it up, etc. But when it just plain hurts too much to move, it hurts too much to move!

Moderators: Karl
Time to create page: 0.421 seconds