logolong

Disability hate crime victim speaks

More
11 years 5 months ago #46072 by Able_Here_Team
This summer's Paralympics were supposed to change forever our attitudes to disability. But have they really done so? Channel 4 news talk to a disabled man about the hate crimes committed against him.

Watch the video
www.ablehere.com/videos-of-disabled-peop...e-victim-speaks.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #46088 by Jana
As an American I find this almost unbelievable. It's not that we don't have hate crimes here, but the laws are such that those doing the crimes are quickly and severely punished. I can't imagine a neighbor of a disabled person not stepping up as a witness to these crimes. Are there no programs in the schools that teach children tolerance of those different than themselves? Aren't disabled children allowed to attend public school? They do here. On the other hand we do have an issue with bullying. This mainly involves non-disabled kids and teens who get harassed via the internet and in person, sometimes to the point of committing suicide. But schools and various agencies have been quick to respond to this and have implemented anti-bullying education and laws. I can hardly believe what I saw on that video. I'm just shocked.

More
11 years 4 months ago #46093 by BUBBADOG14
Unfortunatly the kids in this country start gangs early and the bullying starts there, then as the kids grow up the gangs change from verbal bullying to phyisical. In the county I live in I've known of 5-7 disabled people I know who have been physically attacked and 3 disabled people I've seen in the paper and on television who have been murdered by people who where in gangs.
They say they are teaching children in schools anti-bullying and trying to get children to speak up about bullying but the statistic's show it isn't working unfortunatly.

More
11 years 4 months ago #46102 by Karl
Bullying is a big word as it can be class as bullying if your friend doesn't invite you to his party. I think this is called hidden bullying.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1oldman

Moderators: Karl
Time to create page: 0.411 seconds