logolong

public buses with wheelchair access

More
8 years 9 months ago #57984 by acetophenol
Even though public transport in India has seats/spots reserved for the differently abled, the access is pathetic. Low floor buses are not so common in India, and even in low floor buses, getting wheel chairs in isn't that easy. The scene is improving, though slowly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #61341 by ladyship
Well Karl you do like to cause a stir eh? Here the buses mostly have ramps.But I've had drivers who are unable to lift the ramp.
However its zoom up a short ramp turn sharp right and then I have to get out and reverse park it into the bay - while avoiding the annoying pole thats there.!
Lot harder if its bin raining. In London you have to get on the ramp in the MIDDLE of the bus, so requires an accomplice to enter at the front!

More
8 years 1 month ago #61353 by Tomrymer
In my city the busses are all accessible and the bus stops have castell kerbs which are supposed to make getting aboard better. I drive so don't have to use the buses thank goodness as the one wheelchair space can be already taken by a baby buggy and only if the mother agrees to move it does it get moved. The bus drivers are not o9bliged to insist as it's not part of their contract.
I used to be part of the Transport Users advisory committee and a fellow com. member once borrowed £5 off me to pay for a taxi as he lived halfway along the bus's route and the space was never available. The joke was on me as within a couple of days the poor sod died before giving me my fiver back!

More
8 years 1 month ago #61360 by Karl

ladyship wrote: Well Karl you do like to cause a stir eh? Here the buses mostly have ramps.But I've had drivers who are unable to lift the ramp.
However its zoom up a short ramp turn sharp right and then I have to get out and reverse park it into the bay - while avoiding the annoying pole thats there.!
Lot harder if its bin raining. In London you have to get on the ramp in the MIDDLE of the bus, so requires an accomplice to enter at the front!

Oh the annoying pole does my head in, but on the new buses there isnt a pole, just a drop down armrest. Its much better

But when its raining I find it easier to spin around the pole by sliding on the floor. I will teach you my driving skills lol

More
8 years 1 month ago #61361 by Karl

Tomrymer wrote: In my city the busses are all accessible and the bus stops have castell kerbs which are supposed to make getting aboard better. I drive so don't have to use the buses thank goodness as the one wheelchair space can be already taken by a baby buggy and only if the mother agrees to move it does it get moved. The bus drivers are not o9bliged to insist as it's not part of their contract.
I used to be part of the Transport Users advisory committee and a fellow com. member once borrowed £5 off me to pay for a taxi as he lived halfway along the bus's route and the space was never available. The joke was on me as within a couple of days the poor sod died before giving me my fiver back!

Some drivers will ask them to move the buggies in Hull, but some drivers cant be bothered about wheelchairs and might even moan about doing the ramp.

My idea would be to take away the luggage area on buses as no one uses these and this would make more spaces for wheelchairs and buggies.

More
8 years 1 month ago #61372 by ladyship
I don't know @ Hull but on ours the luggage bit is above the wheel arch, so you can't really remove. Besides we need it for the folded up buggy!!

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.408 seconds