logolong

Where did we put all the disabled people?

More
8 years 2 months ago #60904 by Will
You ask a good question - "Where did we put all the disabled people?" Another question - Who are "We"?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Miles92, riversidemarie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #60908 by Miles92
I'm sorry, but I am just finding everything you are saying is ridiculous and a bit insane.

"Where did we put all the disabled people?"

You are not being very specific when you say disabled people because there are many types of disabilities, which affects people in different ways. Many people with a disability will live a normal and independent life, they work, and go out.

Are you talking about people with
with severe disabilities who cannot live independently and need constant care ? Most of them live at home, in care homes, assistant living facilities, and nursing homes. But that doesn't stop them from going out.

"Why don't I see them as adults?"

I honestly don't know why because I see people with disabilities all the time when I go out. Perhaps you just haven't been noticing them
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Miles92.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Will, riversidemarie

More
8 years 2 months ago #60911 by BUBBADOG14
The centres aren't like concentration camps!! We weren't kept there! It was just somewhere to go and met other people like you and there where social workers and occupational therapists there in case you needed any help. I got to meet a lot of new people and learned new skills.
Also my aunt was a thalidomide sadly she passed away a few years ago but she was happy and had a cheeky sense of humour. I haven't a clue what you are up to but disabled people including ourselves are people not some object of fun or something to 'investigate'! Excuse my French but you are a complete DICK!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Miles92, Will, riversidemarie

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #60930 by
As I sit here and ponder your frustrated replies, I wonder if perhaps, I haven't seen anyone since a young child isn't that you're all gone somewhere but in fact that there are maybe single digits of you scattered across entire cities and states. That I'd have to go to a conference to aggregate enough specialized interest in say something pertaining to disabled people similar to Comicon or PAX for comics and gaming. That the real reason that the public library never has anyone using their equipment is that there's only one or two blind or deaf people in my entire county, and I'm never there when or if they show up (equipment at home). And thus it was the elementary school system that served this purpose, gathering all the disabled children from across the state or region because it was the only school system that was large enough to have the funding for specialized educational facilities. And so when a certain age or grade was reached everyone dispersed to other specialized care facilities and schools appropriate for that age bracket.

I'd never considered that. It was just weird to me. Going from thousands all on one campus, to none at all. As a young child the idea of moving temporarily from area to area would have been a foreign concept and I didn't think to ask anyone as I only saw them during recess, between classes, and before/after school (with a few in my classes). So, of them all, maybe only a few were local.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #60931 by Miles92
You obviously have no understanding or knowledge about people with disabilities

"I wonder if perhaps, I haven't seen anyone since a young child isn't that you're all gone somewhere but in fact that there are maybe single digits of you scattered across entire cities and states."

Seriously? About 56.7 million people in America have a disability, that's 19 of the population. I think that's a lot more than "single digits of you scattered across entire cities and states"

"That the real reason that the public library never has anyone using their equipment is that there's only one or two blind or deaf people in my entire county, and I'm never there when or if they show up (equipment at home)."

I'm sorry, but that is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. Really? There's only one or two people who are blind or deaf in your entire county? There are many reasons why you might have never seen anyone using the equipment at the library.

I have absolutely no idea anymore what you are asking or trying to find out.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Miles92.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Will, riversidemarie

More
8 years 2 months ago #60932 by Will
Wow! I've just thought of a great business opportunity! Start a commercial disabled zoo! Curious "normal" people could pay to see freaks like me in enclosures and read about us from a notice board! All the facts, all the statistics, like how rare we are, why we may seem elusive, where we can be observed feeding, mating habits and other points of interest. Anyway, I'll be the first exibit, come and watch me wave my amputee stump around! Have your cash ready! Anyone else want to join me?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Miles92, riversidemarie

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.428 seconds