logolong

Scottish funnyman living between Thailand and Vietnam

More
5 years 1 month ago #69666 by Craig PG
Hi Everyone! My name is Craig, I'm 24 and I recently decided to relocate from Scotland to South East Asia. Chiang Mai, Thailand is my main base, but I will be spending roughly three months this year in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam as well.

I'm a professional poker player, which has allowed me to move out to South East Asia as I can just work anywhere with an internet connection. I was born with hemiplegia on my right side, but I have never and will never allow my disability to prevent me from doing what I want to do. Been in Asia three months already and loving it so far!

A big hobby of mine is stand-up comedy, and I think it would be a great idea for me to share my content with the disabled community, if there is interest. I am also happy to answer any questions some of you guys may have about moving from Europe to the developing world as a disabled person.

Cheers guys!

Craig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 weeks ago #69674 by BUBBADOG14
Hi, I'm a huge fan of Thailand and hoping to get back there soon, We went there a year before the Tsunami so we where heartbroken to see the devastation it caused. We watched on tv the hotel we stayed in be taken out by the wave. So we made a packed that we would go back out to Thailand one day. You are so lucky to be out there and you must let us know how you do out there.

More
5 years 4 weeks ago #69684 by Craig PG

BUBBADOG14 wrote: Hi, I'm a huge fan of Thailand and hoping to get back there soon, We went there a year before the Tsunami so we where heartbroken to see the devastation it caused. We watched on tv the hotel we stayed in be taken out by the wave. So we made a packed that we would go back out to Thailand one day. You are so lucky to be out there and you must let us know how you do out there.

Yea, Thailand is an amazing place. I live in the northern Thailand city of Chiang Mai, which I don't believe was badly impacted by the Tsunami, so I can't really report on how the communities devastated by it have recovered.

Would you suggest a sub forum on here to start a blog? Or should I just keep updating this thread? I would really like to share my story and progress with the disabled community, and motivate more people to live the best life they possibly can.

More
5 years 4 weeks ago #69688 by Karl
is Thailand wheelchair friendly?

More
5 years 4 weeks ago #69689 by Craig PG
Hi Karl, I would definitely say that it is less wheelchair friendly than the UK. All the Starbucks, McDonalds and other fast food chains that I've seen are wheelchair accessible. However many of the best local Thai restaurants where you'll get the real atmosphere/experience that eating out in Thailand gives you are often not as accessible for wheelchair users. All the malls I've seen in Chiang Mai and Bangkok have elevators and wheelchair ramps at the entrance, as do many of the apartment blocks. One of the most noticeable negatives about Thailand for me is that the roads and pavements are in significantly worse condition than in Europe. Here, there are way more potholes than I've seen anywhere else. Having said that, I have seen a few wheelchair bound tourists/backpackers out living it up and having a great time in bars and nightclubs.

When there's a will there's a way. :)

More
5 years 4 weeks ago - 5 years 4 weeks ago #69690 by Craig PG
Taxis and other forms of transport are super cheap here as well fwiw
Last edit: 5 years 4 weeks ago by Craig PG.

Moderators: Able_Here_Team
Time to create page: 0.448 seconds