logolong

Adaptations to the home

More
15 years 2 months ago #16939 by ducky
Replied by ducky on topic Re:Adaptations to the home
just a quick note to say ellie I come from devon and we are not one of the riches counties sorry to contridict you posh but we have one of the lowest income wages and highest waterbills and councle tax's
I must admit the councle have been brilliant for adaptions here but that was before the goal post changed I dont think it would be quite so swift to get help now

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago #16973 by elliecrawshaw
Dear Ducky,

Thank you for contributing to my thread- I really appreciate all the help everyone has been giving me regarding my research! Can I ask you why you believe that the council has been particularly helpful and why you believe it would not be so presently, or if you could comment upon your own experiences with the council, for example how long it took them to carry out your adaptations if relevant and how satisfactory they were? I would be ever so grateful. If you don’t wish to make this information public, (*NB: apologies everyone, I should have mentioned this previously), you can post on my survey confidentially at FreeOnlineSurveys.com/rendersurvey.asp?s...qht5p5fwzvqooz542731

Thank you so much for your contributions so far though, they will be extremely helpful in my research!
Ellie

Dear Posh,
Thank you also for your contributions, you have been extremely helpful to me and I really appreciate it. If at a later date you think of anything relevant to adaptations (whether it be your own experience or just generally) I’d be very grateful if you could post it on this thread, I am researching until late April, and any information I can gather will be extremely useful to me! Again, please feel free to follow the link above and contribute your experiences although the research question does not differ from that in this thread, and you have already been so kind to comment in depth upon your own experience regarding adaptations. Thank you once again though, please feel free to continue posting upon this topic and to discuss it with other members as I feel it is an extremely interesting topic of debate!
Ellie

More
15 years 2 months ago #17076 by Posh
Replied by Posh on topic Re:Adaptations to the home
Actually Ducky, statistically, (years 2005-2007) Devon, Surrey, Hampshire and Gloucestershire, have been the top four of the \"richest counties\" in the UK, in that order.

I think perhaps they work it out on house prices,and earnings (amongst other things) rather than as you suggest.

Perhaps there are pockets, as there are in Hants (Portsmouth & Iof W) where there are low wage earners, or a lot of peopple on Benefits, but then that's the same everywhere.

Now I would have thought Surrey, and parts of London would have been on that list, but they are way down it ;)

Perhaps also, things have changed in recent years, (sorry, have had other things to occupy me), and the list has changed somewhat.<br><br>Post edited by: Posh, at: 2009/02/06 07:25

More
15 years 2 months ago #17077 by Posh
Replied by Posh on topic Re:Adaptations to the home
elliecrawshaw wrote:

Dear Posh,

Also, I was wondering if I could ask you more questions, ................ Also may I ask about the attitudes of the local plumber and local firemen to assisting you?

Many thanks again for your quick reply and help, I am extremely grateful.

Ellie Crawshaw

Hi Eliie,
Attitudes of local plumber and firemen?

They were lovely, and couldn't do enough to help.
Plumber was one I found via the Local Lion's Club branch.
He even put in extra holders at different heights, so I can use the shower either standing or sitting. Lovely guy.
The firemen, well. Around here, I'm quite well known, infamous almost, he he. I did them a favour during a fundraising drive they were doing. And we are lucky we have a sense of community here - everyone knows everyone else. The FPO for this area is actually the SO! So he knew what I was doing, as he wrote the report for the OT! I kept them in the loop, so to speak, and when the ramp arrived, it being bespoke (made to measure for the space) and sheet steel and very heavy, they were only too pleased to help out and put it down for me (in return for a little boost to the charity fund).

anything esle you wanna know, just ask. you have my email addy (which I don't give out to everyone, so you're lucky) if you'd rather do it that way.

More
15 years 2 months ago #17612 by elliecrawshaw
Dear Everyone,

Apologies for my lack of replies in the last few days, my internet connection has been down (the post office lost the payment!)

Just to let you know I really appreciate all of your replies so far, they have been so helpful and I have learnt so much from them already. I have now created my final questionnaire (an in depth assessment of how much input disabled people have into their home adaptations regarding design, so looking at the role of occupational therapists and contractors within this). If anybody wishes to complete this, or knows anyone who would be interested in completing it, the link is as follows: www.smart-survey.co.uk/v.asp?i=10170yivkm

Once again please let me thank all of you for your kindess in assisting me with my research, I am extremely grateful and can't express my thanks enough to you all!

If you have any comments or feedback please do not hesitate to contact me- please feel free to post in the forum or you can find my email address by following the link to my questionnaire.

Ellie

• Visitor
  • Visitor
14 years 9 months ago #26031 by
Replied by on topic Re:Adaptations to the home
Once again I'm posting on an old thread, but there is so much for me to catch up with and I'm so new to this forum, so please forgive my tardiness.

I don't live in the UK now so my experiences of home adaptions are different. Had I lived in my own home, which I lost when I became disabled, and wouldn't have been adaptable in any case, or in public housing, the Ministry of Health would have paid for any necessary adaptions.

But I live in a rented bungalow and so I even had to pay for a ramp/path in order to get from the pavement to my home. Or my home to the pavement.

I have not had one thing paid for by either the Local Authority or the Ministry of Health. Everything I have had to do has had to be taken from my disability pensions and allowances, which has meant that I can't have a car or a carer, and not even a cleaner at the moment, as I need the money in order to do things to my home to enable me to live independently.

It's not easy, but then whoever said life was supposed to be easy, let alone disabled life.

Moderators: Karl
Time to create page: 0.425 seconds