logolong

Agnostic/Atheist

More
6 years 8 months ago #65831 by Gregory L.
Replied by Gregory L. on topic Agnostic/Atheist
I was raised Baptist, converted to Atheism at age 15, and stumbled upon what I consider to be philosophic Taoism during a rough spot in life about ten years ago. I don't consider myself to be evangelical in the least--I don't try to persuade anyone to believe or not believe anything. As I see it, it's a personal experience and path you choose to follow in life.

I don't believe any historical figures are any more divine/unique than any other. The bible may have been inspired by being(s) from a higher level of existence than we currently experience, but it was penned and printed by the hands of men. Men make mistakes, it is one of the few things that define us as a whole.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #65873 by earlybird
Replied by earlybird on topic Agnostic/Atheist
I wonder if any other members here believe in...absolute truth? Our opinions and beliefs are indeed personal but cannot change or negate truth.

More
6 years 8 months ago #65897 by Scholar
Replied by Scholar on topic Agnostic/Atheist
I think we are designed to have healthy beliefs systems innately. As long as they are not harmful to self or others.

More
6 years 8 months ago #65903 by Tomrymer
Replied by Tomrymer on topic Agnostic/Atheist
On Earlybird's point: A great many truths are provisional, it's too easy to claim knowledge when what we honestly mean is belief.

More
6 years 8 months ago #65904 by Tomrymer
Replied by Tomrymer on topic Agnostic/Atheist
Scholar: I have reservations about your post but rather than discuss (I don't have time and don't want to waste yours) I'll just add that as long as we don't impose our belief system, on the young by indictrination, and remember that all genuine believers in, let's say other faiths, are just as sincere and ready to defend their imposed belief as those committed to any other set of beliefs.

More
6 years 8 months ago #65905 by MattMercy
Replied by MattMercy on topic Agnostic/Atheist
The problem is religion is different from a belief system. A belief system is usually gained through experiences, for example, domestic violence victims believe that they are worthless due to their abusers behaviour towards them, which inevitably perpetrates a cycle of dependence upon the abuser to validate the victims existence, its a bit more complicated than that but you get my point.
Religion has become a system of self serving "groups" who are amongst the richest organisations on the planet, yet serve no one. They hide abusers amongst their numbers, in many guises and for many crimes.
My belief is that organised religion should be banned, assets distributed amongst the communities and abusers put in prison. We live in a time when most people have the right to free thought, at least, so if they choose to believe in a guy from over two thousand years ago and how his father is the creator of all. Oh lord heal me! Huh? No? Nothing! Oh I see, I'm supposed to devotevmy life to worship in the hope that I'll get something good at the end?? Shut up! Go to your local car dealership and sign over your bank account in the vain hope you'll be given a car!

Why can't humans just have positive regard for one another?! I respect everyone, until they give me grounds to think otherwise. Don't forget, religion has been, and is still being used, for the purposes of war between brothers and sisters. This is shameful. We will be the only species to have wiped themselves out totally. Maybe the vatican has shares in the arms industry!

Moderators: Karl
Time to create page: 0.404 seconds