logolong

Agnostic/Atheist

More
6 years 8 months ago #65915 by Tomrymer
Replied by Tomrymer on topic Agnostic/Atheist
No-one chooses to believe. Those with a belief in religion have mostly been the recipients of childhood indoctrination. They have a faith and faith is belief taken further. 'I know that my redeemer liveth.' Is so flawed as to be ridiculous. This should read I have faith that my redeemer liveth. The individual believes it to be so, has faith that it is so but does not have knowledge that it is so. It is possible to believe you know while being deluded. As to truth, facts are the raw material of truth, truth the interpretation of facts.
Every individual is free to believe whatever their upbringing, research or intuition leads to. What is wrong is imposing those views on anyone else especially on the young who are ill-eqyipped to resist. The only sin I acknowledge is accepting as true that which you know to be mere speculation or imposition. Should religion be banned? Certainly not simply because it wouldn't work. Ban any belief in the supernatural and true believers will carry on in secret, and contrarians like myself will espouse the cause. Should the fifty-seven varieties of Christianity be seen as organisations, Yes, should they be demolished no.
Look at the other religions both Abrahamic or otherwise and all of their adherents have faith that their version or perversion is right and the others wrong. Take a look at a pie chart of world religions, Wikipedia hss one in the entry Majo Religious Groups and a list of Medium sized religions including Jainism and Taoism. The world map of religious affiliation may also be of interest to the open minded.
Remember however 'Not to be so open-minded that your brain falls out!
The following user(s) said Thank You: MattMercy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #70046 by lalmada9
Replied by lalmada9 on topic Agnostic/Atheist
Hi Jana - The position you've expressed sounds like you are in touch with your inner personal feelings but are unsure of how to reconcile those feelings with religion. In my indigenous belief, we start with life in the immediate, that is, our place in the nature that surrounds us. We expand our awareness outward to include the changing of the seasons and out further to include the rotations of the planets in our universe. When we can balance all of this awareness we believe ourselves to be at peace and harmony with all that exists in the name of the Supreme God and Mother Nature.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Karl
Time to create page: 0.367 seconds